8 months ago
Requisition ID: 222516
Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Today, our colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Purpose of the Job
To support the Employer in implementing project level processes and activities that relate to the commercial management of the project including, but not limited to, monitoring of procurement, cost, finance, schedule, risk management, compliance with contractual terms, cost verification, project staffing registers / forecasts and the timely resolution of contract change.
Supporting the Employer in relation to:
* Providing oversight of all commercial activities to check that Corporate Governance is adhered to.
* Directing and providing functional oversight of cost, planning, risk, finance procurement, cost verification and contract administration activities.
* Overseeing the effective implementation of Project Control systems including cost, schedule & risk in accordance with project procedures. Developing, interpreting, and executing policy, objectives, and standards applicable to cost, schedule and risk activities.
* Implementing and overseeing appropriate mechanisms and procedures to monitor compliance with contract terms and conditions and to check the timely resolution of contract change.
* Reviewing & recommending staffing needs for cost, schedule, risk and contract administration activities.
* Maintaining project staffing registers / forecasts
* Working with Project Managers in the assessment of recovery and mitigation actions and making recommendations.
* Maintaining liaison with Area Business Manager to coordinate workload and staffing plans, work processes, and procedures.
* Undertaking or managing reviews and analysis of the schedule, cost and risk position (on behalf of the Project Manager or Area Business Manager)
* Providing project specific cost, schedule and risk data to the Area Business Manager to support the overall programme reporting of schedule, scope, risk and change.
* Coaching and supervising other project team members to maintain technical competence and consistency of administration within the project team and to
Check that actions or inactions which could result in trends or constructive contract changes are identified and make recommendations on their resolution.
* Monitoring the Change Management System to check that that regular review and mitigation of trends takes place
* Producing all necessary “business cases” to check that full and proper commercial decisions are taken
* Check that necessary activities are undertaken by the Project in support of the Procurement Department including participation / leading of commercial tender reviews.
* Check that material / services /goods Purchase Orders / Requests are raised as required and monitor the management of the post award activities of the PO to close out.
* May deputise for the Area Manager when required
* Undertaking specific tasks as requested by the Area Manager
* Co-operate with HS2 in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times*
* Act as a role model for HS2 vision and values. Encourage and support others to do so too*
* Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues*
* Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and
availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put HS2 information or information systems at risk*
*These accountabilities are mandatory for all positions
Main challenges of the job
* Supporting the Employer in relation to managing multiple relationships, internal and external to HS2, in a fast moving, dynamic and demanding environment. Providing leadership to the direct commercial team and commercially the overall Project Team through example, knowledge and ability to influence and in so doing encouraging project team members to work in accordance with requirements of corporate governance
* Being comfortable working at a detailed and strategic level and supporting this with the necessary written, numerical and verbal skills. Able to accept responsibility and accountability for all the Project commercial activities through the full life cycle.
Dimensions & Interfaces (both internal and external)
Key working relationships
* Reports to the Area Manager
* Supervises cost engineering, planning and contract administration staff on the project
* Works closely with Area Manager, Project Field Engineer and project controls team
* Degree in Engineering, Business, Quantity Surveying, Law, or Construction Management. or equivalent experience.
* Construction experience on a mega Project is desirable
* Experience and courses in cost engineering, planning, risk, pricing, contract law, contract drafting, administration and negotiation of change orders, and effective correspondence.
* Knowledge of contract administration (NEC 3), quantity surveying, home office and site procedures and documents relating to a large scale, multi-discipline construction project.
* Working knowledge of engineering/construction industry contracting practices.
* Significant experience of dealing with large civil works and / or M&E packages as needed
* Experience of operating strategically and commercially in numerous functional areas / matrix organisation
HEALTH AND SAFETY
* Take reasonable care to ensure your own and others’ health and safety – including those who may be affected by the delivery of this role – by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 S.A.F.E programme principles.
* Cooperate with HS2 in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times and not interfering with measures in place to protect your health, safety or welfare.
Advocate and promote the company’s well-being strategy and policies
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.