8 months ago
Join our UK Software Engineering Practise
At Deloitte, our engineers are creative problem solvers. As part of our team you will be responsible for developing cutting-edge digital solutions for some of the largest, most ambitious organisations in the world. We build diverse teams bringing together a wealth of experiences and backgrounds to form the best cross-disciplinary teams. You will have the chance to work with some of the best technologists and strategists in the business, to shape the future of how we live, work and play. What unites us is our passion for world-class user experiences, innovative use of technology, eye-catching visual design and enterprise-level strategies.
Our work encompasses both advisory and delivery services, and covers the end-to-end lifecycle of application architecture and development, including planning, requirements gathering, design, prototyping, code development, modularisation, testing, configuration and defect management, and production deployment. Development is completed in a variety of languages and platforms, including Java, Microsoft, Cloud, Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Azure.
The Bespoke Development team focuses on the delivery of custom developed applications for our clients across several industries. As a senior software engineer you should have at least 5+ years’ experience working with:
* Java 8, though we won’t exclude applicants with a background in Java 7 and above, C#, .NET, Kotlin, or Python (plus equivalent frameworks and testing platforms)
* Java tools and frameworks like Spring, Hibernate, Maven and Gradle
* Experience of MicroService Architecture, Domain Driven Design, SOAP/REST APIs
* Atlassian Product Suite i.e. Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket
* Automated testing using tools such as Junit, Spock, Gatling and Selenium
* Creating RESTful APIs
* Source control, preferably git
* Container-based architecture (Docker, Kubernetes)
* SQL, Postgres, MYSQL, MongoDB
* Unix / Linux
* Cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure, Digital Ocean, etc.)
* Agile methods e.g. Scrum/Kanban
* Managing software development teams in an agile and/or hybrid agile/waterfall environments
* An appreciation of different delivery models e.g. onshore/nearshore/offshore blended teams.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. If the working pattern you are looking for is not specifically indicated below, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements.
The base location is London though we are also taking applications for Regions (incl. Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow and Belfast). The role may involve travel, working in different areas of the UK, and potentially overseas.
Your professional experience
While not required, it would be good to have some experience
* Familiarity working with an integration platform, such as MuleSoft, Dell Boomi or Apigee
* Working with databases (relational and non-relational)
* Deploying using CI/CD pipelines
* Building CI/CD pipelines to support DevOps
* Experience with creating responsive design, Performance tuning, Automated Build and deployment
We offer tailored career pathways
Recognising and developing the many diverse skills and interests that exist among our Consulting population allows us to consistently exceed the standards of excellence and innovation that our clients expect. Six Consulting Talent Models have been designed by leaders across 11 member firms and offer truly tailored career development opportunities. Each model is defined by differentiated, relevant learning, measures of success, and career trajectories that combine to help you realise your full potential at Deloitte and future-proof our business.
Being a Senior Software Engineer at Deloitte
You are responsible not just for the impact you make with your own work, but also for your wider impact on others, for example by leading small teams, inspiring people, taking greater responsibility for the quality and architecture of the solution, and/or building productive client relationships. You’ll also start to play a bigger role in the practice and our internal community.
* Being an expert in your core skillset.
* Coaching others in the application of good practice and coding standards.
* Having a passion for quality and attention for detail.
* Taking an active interest in design and user experience, working with specialist colleagues to design solutions that are beautiful on the inside as well as the outside.
* Actively managing risk with your team and project.
* Managing small teams or taking ownership over technical outcomes.
* Ability to act as the guardian of a team's process and lead key ceremonies such as stand-ups, retrospectives, and planning sessions.
* A good awareness of the project context and the client’s main objectives.
* Developing elegant, efficient and scalable software designs and architecture.
* Producing clean and effective code.
* Reviewing and debugging code.
* Deep understanding of design patterns.
* Deep understanding of web services and networking.
* General knowledge of security and cyber risks.
Your service line: Consulting
We work closely with our clients and each other, at every stage of every project, solving our clients’ trickiest problems with a mix of knowledge, creativity and intellectual rigour. A hugely diverse range of clients rely on us to deliver the kind of change that adds genuine, lasting value to their business.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: North West Europe within a Global firm
The UK, Ireland and Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands and the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) have combined to create a new Deloitte North West Europe firm. This is to support our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and to increase our global influence and lead in EMEA.
A broader geographical shape will create new career development opportunities, helping us develop the very best talent across the region and the world.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Visit our website to hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2017 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families and to have been in their Top 10 for seven consecutive years. Additionally we received the Working Families Best for All Stages of Motherhood special award in 2016.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
* We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
* We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
* We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
* We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
* We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and registered office at 2 New Street Square, London, EC4A 3BZ. Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NWE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee (“DTTL”), its network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities.
Requisition code: 160087