24 days ago
Data Scientist, Hove, Starting from £36,800 & Benefits
EDF Energy operates in a complex and competitive marketplace which requires novel approaches to maintain our market-leading position and continue to provide value for our customers. To that end, EDF Energy’s Data Systems & Analytics team has established a Data Science function to apply advanced statistical and analytical approaches to big datasets and derive actionable insights which improve operational efficiencies or enable high-value customer propositions.
As an EDF Data Scientist you will direct the application of advanced analytical techniques to (big) datasets and draw out actionable insights which improve commercial outcomes. The role will require extensive knowledge of data science methods and experience in applying these techniques in a commercial setting. You will be comfortable in providing the necessary technical leadership, guidance and oversight for data specialists within the team and you will be able to effectively communicate complex, technical information to non-technical stakeholders.
Day to day you will be:
* Applying scientific methods through experimental design, exploratory data analysis and hypothesis testing
* Developing descriptive, predictive and prescriptive models which utilise supervised or unsupervised machine learning algorithms
* Working with the Data Engineers and Developers to productionise proof-of-concept models within production environments – working to best practice processes to ensure productionisation is efficient
* Leading on the technical solutions for proof-of-concept projects, experiments and trials using advanced analytics and machine learning
* Understanding the business drivers of use cases and helping to confirm the appropriateness of data science techniques in developing solutions
* Scraping, exploring, cleansing and visualising big datasets using leading tools and technologies
* Feature engineering
* Demonstrating best practice programming using Python (or R)
* Providing technical leadership, guidance and oversight for data specialists and junior members of the team
* Managing and coordinating the different phases of data project delivery
* Delivering actionable insights which provide positive commercial impact
* Presenting findings to key stakeholders within the organisation.
* Supporting the Sales & marketing leadership team in identifying new growth opportunities, generate insights and informing senior stakeholders of key strategic and business decisions
* Contributing to the wider Customers Data Science community by sharing knowledge, experience ideas and findings
* Strong background in applied maths and statistics
* Experienced with AWS environment and tools
* Expert-level programming knowledge in Python, SQL, Java, R or other advanced programming languages
* Experience with big data tools such as Hadoop, Spark and Zeppelin or Jupyter
* Skilled in extracting, transforming, wrangling and cleansing large datasets for the purposes of data analysis
* Proven experience in designing, building and implementing descriptive, predictive and prescriptive models
* Highly skilled in applying appropriate machine learning algorithms across a wide range of problems using both structured and unstructured data
* Skilled in creating compelling data visualisation to communicate complex analytical findings
* Ability to inform and influence, and to drive awareness of the benefits of data analytics
* Experience of overseeing and assuring the work of a team of data analysts
* Able to effectively communicate complex, technical information to non-technical stakeholders
* Experience of being accountable for delivery of business value from data analysis projects
* Able to proactively identify opportunities for data analysis to create value
* Experience in cutting edge analytical techniques including deep learning algorithms, neural networks and natural language processing
* Experience of Agile working practices and managing Agile projects (Scrum, Kanban)
Competitive Salary & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a defined benefit pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn bonus.
These roles are advertised on a full-time/part-time basis as standard with the opportunity to discuss flexible working arrangements.
We’re proud to be an inclusive, disability confident employer and recognise the importance of employee well-being. Our roles are advertised on a full-time/part-time basis as standard with the opportunity to discuss flexible working arrangements.
We’re about the people who work with us and we celebrate their diversities and embrace the value that their differences bring. We believe that a culture of inclusion forms the basis of a truly sustainable business and is vital to shaping a strong and fresh-thinking organisation, with a number of employer networks and benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Recruiting from the widest possible pool of talent, we assess every potential employee against our four key behaviours – Integrity, Inclusion, Inspiration and Impact. We make sure that our workforce is a true reflection of our communities and customers. Their unique perspectives not only give us a better understanding of customers from all walks of life, but bring fresh ideas too.