10 months ago
In line with experience
Category: Cost Jobs
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Cost Consultant (various roles available up to Principal Cost Consultant level)
The role of Cost Consultant sits within the Cost & Risk Consulting Teams as part of our Analysis, Modelling and Simulation discipline. As a Cost Consultant, you will be responsible for requirements capture; designing and implementing cost estimating processes; data gathering; cost driver identification and validation; developing Basis of Estimates; building, validation and verification (V&V) of cost models for our clients. This will include identification of data uncertainty combined with risk and opportunity analysis through Monte Carlo techniques.
We are seeking highly-motivated, self-starting, consultants able to work as part of large, complex and diverse studies, projects and programmes across a range of domains alone and/or as part of multi-disciplinary and pan-organisational teams. You will be working closely with a range of clients, delivery partners and sub-contractor staff to develop credible and justifiable cost models and estimates. This analysis supports our clients in making fully informed risk-adjusted investment decisions and establishing affordable budgets.
We are looking for individuals with proven experience, possibly from within the defence sector or across wider government. It would be an advantage if you have had exposure to problems and issues posed by international clients. Good interpersonal skills and an ability to operate flexibly in fast-paced operating environments will be a pre-requisite.
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Engaging clients and stakeholders and presenting project outcomes to a range of decision makers;
• Shaping and scoping of approaches to cost estimating and forecasting, using best practice techniques and industry-standard and specialist QinetiQ tools;
• Developing and reviewing estimating processes;
• Developing both Acquisition and Whole Life Cost (WLC) estimating models;
• Verification and Validation (V&V) of cost models developed by other staff, including client personnel;
• Development and assurance of Cost Estimating inputs (such as Basis of Estimates);
• Problem solving through the application of cost modelling;
• Mentoring of less experienced members of staff.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities desired:
• Good business awareness, with a strong appreciation of how cost estimating and forecasting informs and guides solution development;
• Experience of working in complex and multi-faceted technical and commercial environments, with an appreciation of financial systems, commercial approaches;
• A relevant educational background (e.g. mathematics, statistics, finance);
• Experience in the development of Monte-Carlo cost models;
• Familiarity of a range of techniques for developing robust estimates e.g. Analogy, Cost Factors, Parametric and Delphi;
• Experience in the development and implementation of cost estimating processes and frameworks;
• Experience in the Verification & Validation (V&V) of cost models;
• Familiarity with Monte Carlo analysis modelling tools such as @Risk or Predict! Risk Analyser;
• Strong interpersonal / presentation skills with the ability to persuade and influence with people outside own immediate area of specialism;
• An awareness and experience of National Security, Defence and the Armed Forces;
• Familiarity with Parametric tools such as TruePlanning or FACET is desirable;
• Holding a relevant Cost Estimating qualification or professional membership is desirable;
• Self-motivated and flexible, with the ability to adapt to new domains.
Successful candidates will have opportunity to work with UK MOD as well as International clients across the global defence industry and beyond into civil applications. Our portfolio embraces land, air, sea and C4I systems, as well as emerging technology and innovation. Our clients are dispersed, so travel within the UK will be necessary and a willingness and ability to travel to client sites overseas would be a distinct advantage, particularly to the Middle East region. Our teams are geographically spread, offering a variety of base locations – in the UK our Cost Consultants are currently mostly based at Bristol & Farnborough, but QinetiQ also has offices in Boscombe Down and Malvern. Outside of UK we have offices established in North America, Middle East, Far East, Australia & Europe.
Given the International focus, we can consider applications from individuals who are based anywhere in the UK. Proximity to a QinetiQ UK site is preferred, but not essential.
You will be nationally recognised as an experienced Cost professional – through professional standing (experience and/or qualifications). You will most likely already be a senior member of a professional body such as the International Cost Estimating and Analysis Association (ICEAA) and/or the Association of Cost Engineers (ACostE) (and at Principal Cost Consultant level you will be a Fellow or possibly an Associate Fellow), the Institute of mathematics and its applications (IMA) or equivalent. At Principal level you may also have an advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in a scientific or mathematical subject and may have published papers and/or presented at international conferences. You will be driven to solve problems, with well-developed interpersonal skills. You will be comfortable at leading discussions and workshops, shaping ideas and solution and contributing to business identification and development.
Experience of professionally interacting with non-native English speakers both orally and in writing would be a distinct advantage. Similarly the ability to speak other languages to a good standard could be advantageous in some situations.
As a Cost consultant you will demonstrate the ability to deliver:
• Constant application of process;
• Consistency in your outputs;
• Confidence in presenting your outputs;
• Retention of corporate Cost Engineering know-how within the Business;
• Ability to work at pace to a high standard of quality and consistency.
QinetiQ offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:
• Career development across a diverse International organisation;
• Modern and collaborative working environment;
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contribution;
• SAYE share savings scheme;
• Flexible benefits (including discounted insurance schemes and retail offers);
• Flexible Working, social and family events;
• Competitive global mobility package for international secondments;
• Leading edge technology focus;
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites;
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community.