7 months ago
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is recruiting for a Core Material Consultant to join our team, providing a key role in this vital national defence programme, including supporting the Continuous At Sea Deterrent. Specifically, this role is associated to the core materials of nuclear naval plant and is an opportunity to support the UK submarine programme in relation to structural integrity to support in-service operation, manufacture, plant-life extension and next generation concept design.
Wood Structural Performance Team, based at our Birchwood Park office near Warrington in Cheshire, comprises a broad range of multi-disciplined technical experts spanning metallurgy, materials science, corrosion science, structural integrity analysis, structural and mechanical engineering and advanced manufacturing processes.
* Provide safety, engineering and technical advice to the Ministry of Defence on core materials associated to nuclear propulsion and design.
* Perform a review of nuclear safety cases in line with regulatory requirements.
* Have active involvement in appropriate safety review groups and meetings.
* Interaction with related in core material Research & Technology programmes.
* Interface with key stakeholders, internal and external.
Skills / Qualifications
* Professional Institution accredited Degree or Post Graduate qualification in a scientific or engineering discipline.
* Experience/familiarity associated to structural integrity and the manufacture, construction and operation of nuclear plant components and their underlying safety cases, including materials behaviour in hostile in-reactor environments.
* An ability to understand, deliberate and assimilate structural integrity safety case arguments, clearly and concisely, based upon knowledge.
* Strong communication skills both written and oral.
* A willingness to work on defence related tasks.
* Essential that the post holder is or can be Security Cleared.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.