about 1 month ago
* Job Title: Construction Training and External Relationships Manager
* Requisition ID: 212448
* Relocation Authorised: National - Single
* Project: Wylfa Newydd Nuclear Power Station
* Location: Gloucester, UK
The Wylfa Newydd Project will be executed under a Project Management Contract (PMC), in which the overall scope of services is to provide project management services, including Project Controls, Contract Management, and Construction Site Management to facilitate the delivery of two electric generating plants at Wylfa Newydd Nuclear Power Station (WNNPS) using the Hitachi ABWR design as described in the Generic Design Application.
As a highly experienced individual in UK Nuclear New Build (NNB), nuclear power generation, UK construction skills; and Construction Design Management; Environmental, Safety and Health regulations; this individual will have the unique opportunity to apply their project management, training management, commercial acumen and stakeholder engagement experience to ensure the workforce deployed to the Wylfa site have the required skills, training and competency to execute their roles.
Accountable for the leadership, development, implementation and management of training, competency and skills programmes (including skills-gap analysis) for the site workforce; and importantly the flow down of competency requirements to construction sub-contractors, the individual will ensure compliance with all UK regulations, Office of Nuclear Regulation Site Licence Conditions and customer requirements. With the on-site workforce expected to peak around 7-8000, the individual will be responsible for managing the continuous supply of a safe and competent workforce to meet the demands of construction.
To ensure an effective programme is in place upon mobilisation to site, a key immediate responsibility will be for the individual to identify, develop and deliver the management and funding strategy in conjunction with UK external skills bodies, Government funding bodies, training providers and major construction subcontractors to ensure that the workforce on the Wylfa site are suitably inducted, trained and have the required skills to execute work, while leveraging all available resources.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
* Lead the development and implementation of the construction skills strategy and all associated activities, including skills management of the subcontracted workforce; and external training providers
* Manage internal budgets and external funding and support strategies to ensure value for money solutions
* Implement appropriate training methodologies and competency frameworks for the Wylfa site workforce
* Innovatively leverage training provision through alignment with construction subcontractors and other organisations, including NNB as appropriate, to optimise the workforce supply chain
* Represent Wylfa site in UK nuclear and non-nuclear skills and training forums, to deliver the strategy and programme
* Identify, engage and represent the project with external funding bodies such as: ECITB; Department for Education; BEIS; The NSSG; and Local Education Partnerships to influence policies and agree funding strategies which support Wylfa activities
* Provide subject matter expertise to construction management to support the implementation of the Wylfa skills strategy and programmes
* Identify workforce competency requirements and critical skills gaps across the organization and from within the subcontractor supply chain
* Capture and analyse training data; identify improvements and report skills performance metrics to Wylfa management
* Provide oversight and monitoring of competency reviews for construction workforce and subcontractors
* Work with other training organisations and partners to ensure effective and appropriate alignment and use of all available resources.
* Design custom training offerings if necessary, including collaborating with external providers
* Analyse workforce industry trends, training records, statistics, program evaluations, and share best practice to continuously improve the Wylfa skills programme
* Oversee the workforce development team responsible the provision of site induction, classes, instructors, facilities, class times, participants, instructor evaluations, and training documentation and records management
* Provide final review and approval of all Wylfa instructor candidate qualifications and selection; and external skills development providers
* Ensure competency programme meets all UK ONR Site Licence Condition requirements
* A thorough knowledge and recent practical experience of the UK training and skills market and associated funding regimes and be competent to leverage these options to the benefit of the project.
* A thorough knowledge of the Site Licence, quality management, accreditation bodies, legislative requirements and best practice regarding training and application of these requirements to the Wylfa site workforce in a balanced way.
* A thorough knowledge of and experience working with UK construction companies
* Strong negotiation and influencing skills with experience in customer and stakeholder relations
* Excellent oral and written communication; and influencing skills
* Demonstrable track record in setting up and managing large scale programmes in an EPC environment
* Experience of large scale organisational change in a diverse and challenging environment
* Detailed process knowledge and practical skills in the areas of training, skills and competency
* Knowledge of modern learning methods and media and the advantages they can bring to large organisations.
* Proven ability to define goals, deliverables and implement key programs on time and within budget.
* Excellent analytical and strategic planning skills: able to prioritize, balance short and long-term priorities and manage simultaneous projects including subcontract management
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
The right to work in the UK without requiring company sponsorship.
* Holder of a recognised training qualification, or equivalent experience
* Graduate level qualification or equivalent experience
* A thorough knowledge of the Site Licence, quality management, accreditation bodies, legislative requirements and best practice regarding training and application of these requirements to an EPC environment
* Engineering or nuclear background and understanding of the unique requirements of the nuclear industry.
* Proven commercial awareness and contract management experience
* Proven financial acumen and project management skills that can track, manage and report performance
* Background in promoting a programme to varied stakeholders and customers
* Performing in a commercial programme where achievement of milestones to safety, quality and cost is paramount
* Demonstrated delivery of a skills programme of similar scale to Wylfa, within the UK NNB environment
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.