7 months ago
Mace is an international consultancy and construction company that has delivered world class projects since 1990. Today we employ over 5,000 people across five global hubs in Europe, Middle East North Africa and India, North America, Asia Pacific and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Four simple values guide our behaviour in our pursuit of a better way; Safety first - no compromise, Client focus - deliver on our promise, Create opportunity - for our people to excel, Integrity - always doing the right thing. We aim to attract the best and brightest people, whatever their background, to bring new perspectives to some of the most challenging and inspiring projects around the world.
We support our people who are aiming to achieve an academic or professional qualification that will help them develop personally and deliver to the highest standard for our clients. At Mace you can deepen your knowledge, expand your skills and define your own path.
Be a part of our programme management consultancy business that spans our five global hubs, where we oversee major events and infrastructure programmes of work for world leading organisations across the public and private sectors.
The project is a nuclear site, based in West Somerset, 15 miles from Bridgewater. The project ambition is to build two major EPR nuclear plants, and the position will be part of project site construction team.
Because of the scale of this project, the programme duration and the immovable completion date, the construction lead must have proven experience in delivering large and complex projects under similar constraints.
The construction superintendent will be a staunch advocate of our nuclear safety culture, and help to embed this approach in all processes and activities undertaken on the project.
Construction Delivery Lead - Nuclear
The construction delivery lead oversees the construction management activities for a designated section of the works, on a large complex EPR project. They will manage areas with complex scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of identifiable factors.
The construction lead is responsible for planning and implementation of assigned project activities and the development of standard practices, surveillance and polices for construction management and oversight of the construction and contract partners. They will provide resource to the senior construction delivery lead to support the task management of the construction phase of the project.
This post will supervise the activity of the works contractors and interfaces between them, as well as the interfaces between adjoining sections of the project.
In addition to the reporting and liaising accountabilities, the construction delivery lead will be required to adhere to (and suggest enhancements and improvements to) company policies, procedures and protocols for construction, procurement, health and safety, quality and other functions.
Your responsibilities will include:
* Developing innovative and sound field surveillance implementation strategies for the works. Review and accept related project delivery plans submitted by the works contractors.
* Overseeing the contractor's management of all construction and labour force logistics and contracts relating to the works to be constructed.
* Supporting the site construction delivery team comprising of other construction delivery leads across the site with regards to project implementation.
* Working with the site teams to develop and manage a long range schedule, manpower assignments, material and equipment demand plans and contingency plans to promote project success of the works.
* Being proactive to communicate with other site teams and delivery managers to maintain good communication links, and ensure activity is well and timely reported.
* Making input into and review of the programme progress and forecast position and the agreement and implementation of any resultant actions.
* Ensuring field activities are planned and mobilised to meet the programme.
* Endeavouring to identify potential programme issues before they arrive to enable mitigating actions.
* Ensuring design decisions are not taken ‘in the field’ by the client or contractors but are considered and approved via a formal process.
* Ensuring that any resources over which he/she has control are utilised in a manner to minimise the costs to the client as appropriate to properly executing the works.
* Ensuring key daily records are robustly maintained, including the input of relevant photographs to site diaries. All site diaries are to be uploaded to In-Touch.
* Contributing information on specific area to weekly and monthly reports, as well as issuing and maintaining performance and KPI indicators.
* Ensuring processes for thorough and timely sub-contractor mobilisation starting with pre-start meetings.
* Understanding and fully implementing project procedures for workface contract-charge issues.
* Monitoring and assessing team individuals through coaching for performance.
* Participating in risk workshops and meetings as required and ensure that team members attend training as and when required.
* Providing advice to project teams on planned logistics arrangements and contractual matters.
* Generating or producing informative, concise reports.
Your experience, knowledge and skills need to include:
* Experience of operating in a high security environment advantageous.
* Experience of working on large volume high quality RC structures.
* Extensive working knowledge in the delivery of large complex projects.
* Broad knowledge of construction techniques with high technical expertise across their specific types of construction and forms of contract.
* Good working knowledge of the NEC, ECC and FIDIC contracts.
* General understanding of design obligations under CDM regulations - along with an understanding of the document and drawing approvals processes.
* In-depth knowledge and experience of programme progress and forecast position and planning, with the ability to ensure that field activities are planned and mobilised to meet the programme by inputting construction methods and sequences.
* Good working knowledge of commercial - principles affecting construction matters.
* Ability to work within a high performing team that continuously outperforms expectations and objectives. Motivational approach and the ability to energise team members by building a climate of trust and understanding.
* Strong communication skills in English is required, knowledge of French can be an advantage.
* Excellent organisation, management and commercial skills.
* A degree qualification in either civil or mechanical engineering is essential.
* Professional memberships are an advantage but are not essential.
“Mace is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our people to excel.”