5 months ago
Location: Whiteley, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Role Title: Communications Engineering Authority
AQUILA Air Traffic Management Services is a partnership between NATS, a leading UK air navigation services specialist, and Thales, a driving force in UK and global air traffic management. Together, we are deploying our expert knowledge to improve military air traffic management in the UK by the delivery of the MOD’s Marshall Programme. This is a transformational project that will ensure UK military air traffic is managed by a modern, cost-effective and world-class system.
As a Radio Engineering Authority you will be responsible for leading, managing and designing ‘through life performance’ of a Managed Asset Portfolio for elements of the following Technical Services:
Ground to Ground Communications (TS 04), Ground to Air communications (TS 05), Non Air Traffic Control Ground to Air communication (TS15), Air Defence Communications (TS 16), Record and Replay equipment (TS02)
* Be the Aquila Subject Matter Expert on particular assets and provide verbal and written support to operators on the use of equipment.
* Work with the providers to support the delivery and acceptance of the new Marshall equipment.
* Accept into service newly delivered assets from the asset delivery teams, ensuring all documentation is ready for the start of service and that the equipment and support services (all DLODS) are ready to meet the required availability.
* To participate in the fault resolution processes in a timely fashion to ensure that equipment is maintained in an operational capability. This includes when necessary proving the maintenance organisation with expertise and access to Subject Matter Experts (SME) within the supply chain where they require it.
* Design and update the maintenance documentation to ensure that maintainers can access the latest information and/or make clear any ambiguities within their maintenance instructions.
* Liaise with equipment providers to generate and document defective ‘work arounds’ whilst equipment defects are rectified.
* Support the supply chain in managing the 4th line and CLS contracts. Ensuring that Technical Performance is delivered. Participate in sentencing meetings and authorise contract exceptions against the technical delivery.
* Work with the Asset Tracking System to ensure Asset sparing and repairs are maintained within their SLA’s.
* Be responsible for the asset and stores baseline and Bill of Material (BOM) for each of the Service Delivery Sites (SDS) and Service Enabling Sites (SES).
* Safety responsibilities include:
* Performance monitoring of equipment to ensure the safety thread is maintained for each networked element
* Liaise with the Safety Engineers to ensure that the overall safety cases and Technical Service Safety design is maintained and within its defined limits,
* Manage in the initial safety assessment of incidents raised within the safety management system,
* Participate when required in the safety investigations of any instance raised against a piece of equipment within the managed portfolio,
* Provide technical expertise and advice to periodic Equipment Safety Panels,
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Personal Qualities
* Degree in Engineer discipline, equivalent relevant professional qualification or relevant experience gained from within an Air Traffic Management Engineering environment.
* Relevant System Engineering Experience (preferable within the Air Traffic Management Environment or equivalent regulatory/safety environment)
* Relevant experience of high-integrity real-time systems within large scale, multi-disciplined projects and practical experience of systems engineering testing and integration.
* Knowledge of System Engineering processes and practices (preferably MODAF)
* Strong focus on delivery
* Innovative in defining solutions and optimising processes and systems
* Strong customer focus and dedication to team work and exceptional standards of technical delivery.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* The ability to work proactively, within a defined framework, with a minimum of direct supervision highly motivated in the discharge of responsibilities and accountabilities
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!