5 months ago
Commodities Technology - Software Engineer
Vice President/Executive Director
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Application Opening Date: 23 July 2019
Application Closing Date: 19 August 2019
Level: Executive Director
Goldman Sachs Engineers are innovators and problem-solvers, building solutions in risk management, big data, mobile and more. We look for creative collaborators who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced global environment.
We are seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial individual to join the London Commodities Technology team and work within our desk facing Frontline team.
The role will involve developing and supporting production trading platforms. The candidate will work directly with engineers, traders and salespeople. They will be working on desk support requests as well as development projects. We have opportunities to work on some of the latest web technologies, machine learning and big data technologies in order to help deliver key projects for the business.
The candidate will directly experience the impact of their work as they see the Commodities business use their systems on a daily basis.
At Goldman Sachs, our Engineers don’t just make things – we make things possible. Change the world by connecting people and capital with ideas. Solve the most challenging and pressing engineering problems for our clients. Join our engineering teams that build massively scalable software and systems, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, proactively guard against cyber threats, and leverage machine learning alongside financial engineering to continuously turn data into action. Create new businesses, transform finance, and explore a world of opportunity at the speed of markets.
Engineering, which is comprised of our Technology Division and global strategists groups, is at the centre of our business, and our dynamic environment requires innovative strategic thinking and immediate, real solutions. Want to push the limit of digital possibilities? Start here.
The Commodities desk is a key trading desk within the Goldman Sachs FICC (Fixed Income Currency and Commodities) Division. The Commodities business is global in nature, and the Technology teams work alongside the businesses in London, New York and Singapore.
The Commodities Technology team interacts directly with Trading and Sales to develop trading systems to achieve their business goals. It is a fast paced environment where individuals with strong development and interpersonal skills gain a unique insight into how financial markets work.
Our team of engineers builds solutions to the most complex problems. We provide the systems and tools for the Commodities business to trade, to manage their risk, and to generate trade ideas. Our team members have the opportunity to work at the forefront of technology innovation.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
HOW YOU WILL FULFIL YOUR POTENTIAL
- Work directly with Trading, Sales and Strats and have impact to the business
- Be able to balance a quick turnaround on front-office requests, while having a long term view of how to improve workflows in the production environment.
- Diagnose business requests and technical issues quickly, identify creative solutions and develop and implement new functionality and bug-fixes in real-time.
- Work on a range of Technologies, such as Slang, SecDB, Java, Web development, Big Data technologies.
- Develop and automate best practices and tools.
- Great opportunity to learn from, and influence, business users while collaborating with a talented group of individuals.
- Work with the global Commodities Technology team to come up with innovative ideas for technical and business workflow improvements.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Strong academic record Bachelor’s degree, equivalent or above in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related technical discipline required
- Experience within investment banking/financial services industries required
- Exposure to commodities markets/products and commodities data analytics required
- Experience with Project Management, Requirement Gathering, User Experience Analysis, QAT,
Object-oriented programming, regression testing and system design required
- Demonstrable involvement with continuous improvement and automation initiatives required
- Experience with documentation and reporting required
- Development of technology/solutions to support trading desks, sales, strategists and other teams required
- Significant commercial experience required
- Willingness to learn and use GS proprietary languages/technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Comfortable multi-tasking, managing multiple stakeholders and working as part of a team
- Can apply an entrepreneurial approach and passion to problem solving and product development
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2019. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.