4 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
Structures and MEP (Property & Buildings (P&B) engineering design require a permanent pre-contract and projects commercial manager to support and develop the business’s commercial acumen at and beyond this crucial bidding stage. Moving the business from pricing engineering activity to risk assessment and pricing through considering the whole opportunity including de-risking working capital costs, whether bidding to developers, architects or contractors including overseas clients.
Bid Process & Contractual Arrangements
* From a sound knowledge of contractual forms (NEC, JCT, collateral warranties novation, NDA/CAs, etc.), and their application in real engineering business life
* Support the business in pro-actively negotiating best outcomes, balancing financial performance and risk reduction with ongoing client relationships.
* Ensure that proposed contractual arrangements are reviewed, risks identified then mitigated and further advice sought as required.
* Liaise with the UK legal team also undertake due diligence on potential clients and supplier chain partners.
* Public sector bidding including all prescribed legal forms and commensurate process.
Project Delivery/Working Capital Management
* Ensure that project reviews are undertaken in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures.
* Provide support to the business working closely with the Legal Team where required to prosecute claims for additional fees and recover disputed working capital and debt.
Professional Indemnity Management
* Ensure that bids have proportionate insurance values and the same are offered by our supply chain partners to ourselves.
* Subsequent management of insurance provision is undertaken in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures
Client Facing Support
* Provide support to Prospect & Project Directors in the following areas:
* Change/additional services and fees including negotiations.
* Ensure the required contract amendments are made to reflect the same such as compensation event and deed of variation documentation.
* For working capital & debt recovery
* Continual commercial improvement against; T&Cs development, market trends like fire and facades.
* Training staff in commercial management practices within Property & Buildings.
* Raise commercial awareness in Property & Buildings through regular feedback, bid and project reviews, meetings and training.
* Review and implement improvements to processes, procedures and systems across; bid management, legal, insurance and governance.
We would like to hear from you if you:
* Have a degree in Engineering or equivalent, including chartership..
* Possess a good understanding of ‘best practices’ in commercial management
* Have a keen eye for a commercial opportunity and a strong operational bid performance management experience.
* Are a diplomatic agent for change with the experience, energy and vision to identify opportunities for innovation..
* Are an 'achiever' who enjoys interacting at all levels, getting involved in detail to get the job done and adept at stepping back and taking a broader view.
* Candidates are likely to have a larger corporate background, be used to motivating teams with up to 20% travel involved in the role.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition, we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.