8 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
GG10 Associate Combat Systems Engineer
QinetiQ plays a major role in the development and sustainment of naval combat systems for both the Royal Navy and overseas navies. It acts variously as a customer friend, third party assessor, system integrator, and product supplier.
In its customer friend role it advises navies on:
• how combat systems should be developed, acquired and evolved
• in the test, evaluation and acceptance of combat systems and their constituent equipment
• the identification and rectification of defects such as those encountered during operational service.
Through its provision of live and synthetic test and evaluation facilities and capabilities, QinetiQ supports the test and evaluation of warship combat systems including determination of performance against current and anticipated threats.
Systems engineering services employed by QinetiQ cover the entire system life cycle from capability management and requirements engineering through to system in-service support and ultimately disposal. A mixture of international standards (e.g. ISO 15288), naval standards (e.g. Def Stan 21-88), and industrial and domain-specific practices is employed in conjunction with knowledge of combat systems, equipment and their engineering.
The Naval Combat System Integration Support Service (NCSISS) is a major customer friend role delivered collaboratively by QinetiQ with an industrial partner primarily from the Portsdown Technology Park (PTP) and supporting DE&S Abbey Wood. It supports much of the RN surface fleet. NCSISS delivers the necessary integration, test, evaluation, and acceptance activities across all phases of the equipment lifecycle to support the development and delivery of operationally effective and safe Combat System (CS) capability. It enables MOD and industry to make informed decisions based on objective, credible evidence that is generated by experts in an environment which is free from supply chain conflict of interest.
Whilst centred at PTP, QinetiQ’s NCSISS capability is supported by further staff based at its Bristol site, which is close to DE&S Abbey Wood, and by certain other specialist staff at its other sites. PTP hosts various facilities which are fully representative of key RN naval Combat Systems and their constituent equipment and which allow defect resolution, design support, integration, test and evaluation, acceptance and interoperability activities to be undertaken.
NCSISS is delivered through unique capabilities and enablers including:
• A team of domain specialist Combat Systems Engineers (CSE) who:
o Undertake critical engineering lifecycle activities including design support, integration, test, evaluation and acceptance;
o Provide impartial and independent advice and guidance to Equipment Authorities, their suppliers, and the MOD customer;
o Seek more cost-effective means to perform equipment integration and enable the CS Design Authority function to be discharged with acceptable residual risk and with equipment suppliers held to account;
• A fleet-wide architecting, standards and configuration control service (Architecture, Standards, Policies and Information Authority (ASPIA)) which performs a crucial role in CS design and sustainability through-life;
• Comprehensive and flexible shore integration facilities with the infrastructure and management control regimes necessary to enable government-furnished Combat Systems equipment to be operated, maintained and upgraded ashore in a safe, secure and configuration-controlled manner;
• Synthetic Test Environments (STE) necessary to provide real-time, co-ordinated synthetic stimuli to the CS equipment so that they may be tested and integrated in high load, complex and repeatable scenarios not affordable or achievable in peace-time conditions;
• Tools, analysis equipment and techniques to support the role of the CSE.
A range of systems engineering opportunities exists in QinetiQ at this level within the naval combat systems advice-side business area (NCSISS contract).
Key accountabilities for these roles:
• Undertakes technical work activities within a systems engineering context
• Working as part of a technical team in support of project objectives
• Supervised support to decision management
• Supervised production of technical documentation in support of work carried out
• Delivers work and reports on progress to more senior technical and project staff
• Escalates problems and issues encountered with supervisory staff
Experience and qualifications for these roles:
• IEng or equivalent
• Relevant engineering/systems engineering experience.
Particular skills/experience across several of the following:
• Knowledge of several RN surface ship combat systems (e.g. Type 45, Type 26, QEC, MCMV) and their engineering issues and policies
• Knowledge of some specific areas of a combat system such as weapon systems, command systems, comms, EW, sonar and other sensors, navigation equipment etc.
• Knowledge of naval combat systems engineering
• Knowledge of integration, test and acceptance activities
• Awareness of Def Stan 21-88 and NCSISS processes/approach (desirable)
• Knowledge of synthetic test environments and equipment simulation/stimulation
• Experience in product/system design/evolution
• Ability to conduct surface ship trials and support acceptance activities
• Ability to identify delivery and technical issues, adherence to work plans and schedules, reporting of progress, issues etc. to more senior staff.
Project deployment and clearance:
• SC clearance required
• We are looking for individuals who are willing and able to work at Portsdown. An ability and willingness to travel to other locations in the UK and abroad is required.
• For certain roles we are looking for individuals to support external supplier testing (including at supplier premises) and trials (including sea platform embarkation).
QinetiQ Systems Engineering Grading:
GG10 - Associate
GG11 - Junior
GG12 - Senior
GG13 - Principal
GG14 - Senior Principal
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants, 40% off cinema tickets
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contribution
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan, Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community.