Established for over 45 years, Velden is seeking a highly skilled & experienced CNC Applications Engineer. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic and forward thinking subcontract manufacturing company which services many industries including Motorsport, F1 and supporting the rapidly growing electric car market.
Do you have the skills and experience to act as Technical Lead in a busy, fast-moving CNC machining environment? We are seeking an Applications Engineer who is an expert with good hands-on experience of CNC machines, focusing primarily in our CNC Machining Centre areas.
- Program CNC machines using CAM software (Autodesk Fuson 360), preparing models, generating toolpath design and continuous improvements within CAM & CNC
- Evaluate and improve the CNC manufacturing process by applying expert knowledge of machining processes (multi-tasking), cutting tools and materials to reduce scrap, improve setup / cycle times and reduce consumable tool costs
- Keep updated and continually research the very latest tooling, work holding, machining strategies / techniques and put them into practice
- Establish procedures, electronic documentation and develop/train machinists to attain maximum productivity and ensure the improved manufacturing process is maintained
- Support the development and prove out of CAM Post Processors
- Troubleshoot CAM related issues
- Determine the manufacturing process of a new product from the fixture/work holding stage through to the finished product
- Review and understand planned routing and offer improved solutions to increase productivity
- Advise on best practice for machining processes - speeds, feeds, materials, process steps etc
- Ensure that the correct tooling is available to complete a job and all necessary consumables throughout the production process when required
- Implement cycle time studies, cutting trials and provide ongoing technical support
- Collaborate in a team environment to continuously improve ways and working and each other
- Fully utilise our tools and technologies for collaboration, updates and reporting
- Work flexibly and efficiently as part of the manufacturing team and to support other team members as required, comply with all quality, health & safety and environmental rules and policies
The Person / Skills Required
The successful candidate will have a proven background in CNC machining, preferably having served a recognised apprenticeship or equivalent qualification. The ability to operate and program a CNC machine is essential. It is likely that you have spent time as a CNC Programmer, Setter, Operator or Production Engineer with working knowledge of milling, turning, drilling, threading or hole-making.
Understand CNC coding on the following: Fanuc, Heidenhain, Okuma and Siemens - Knowledge with all is highly desirable but at least one is essential. Experience working on 5-Axis, Horizontal / Vertical, Mill-Turn, Multi-tasking and Multi-spindle machining centres from our chosen machine tools, Okuma, DMG, Makino, Nakamura and Star is desirable.
The company is offering a competitive rate of pay to the successful candidate who can demonstrate a proven competence.
The Successful Applicant Will Receive
- Top rate of pay depending on experience
- Over time readily available and paid at premium rates
- 33 days holiday per year (including public holidays)
- Loyalty scheme with an additional day's holiday for every 5 years completed
- Company pension scheme
- Company paid training
- Death in service life insurance scheme
- Workwear and PPE provided
Hours of Work
7:30am - 4pm Monday to Thursday 7:30am - 1pm Friday