10 months ago
Title : Civil & Structural Engineer
Requisition ID :2018-24349
Work Location :GB-Gloucester, Gloucestershireshire-Barnwood
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Civil
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
As demand for our expertise continues to grow, an opportunity has arisen for a Civil & Structural Engineer to support the Wood Nuclear business unit at our Gloucester, Gloucestershire office. This role will primarily be to support the UK Nuclear New Build (NNB) programme. Additionally, the role will support the UK nuclear Generation Services and Decommissioning businesses as part of a nuclear SQEP Civil & Structural cadre within Wood.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the design, detailing and specification and engineering substantiation of Civil & Structural Engineering tasks including; studies, optioneering, schematic and detailed design, detailing and specification of new conventional and nuclear safety related works.
The successful candidate will play a role in growing and developing the technical capability and credibility of the Gloucester, Gloucestershire office. The successful candidate shall have excellent technical skills and the ability to solve complicated problems innovatively and cost effectively. Previous experience in the nuclear engineering sector is highly advantageous. In view of the desire to grow a secure and long-term Civils capability, this is a permanent staff position.
A sound technical knowledge and educational base are required to ensure the delivery of challenging project and Client targets.
* Undertake all work in accordance with Wood quality assurance system, with due regard to Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE).
* To work collaboratively and in a collegiate atmosphere in the local Gloucester, Gloucestershire civils team and engage with specialists in the wider Wood civil & structural cohort.
* Undertake the role of Civil/Structural Engineer on projects, preparing design calculations, engineering substantiation reports, engineering details/drawings, specifications and similar project documentation, as required.
* Carry out role of Originator in the production of civil & structural analyses and designs in concrete, steel and masonry.
* Carry out role of Originator of geotechnical design/foundation analyses and designs.
* Complete work in accordance with all relevant HSSE legislation, e.g. CDM 2015 etc.
* Ultimately reporting to the Technical Director (TD) – Civils, the candidate will work under the supervision/instruction of Senior and/or Principal Engineers in project teams.
* As required to suit workscope, the candidate may be required to work independently, assuming responsibility for the technical assurance and project delivery of small projects and/or packages of work under the supervision of the TD.
* Complete work in accordance with all relevant HSSE legislation, e.g. HASWA 1974, CDM 2015, LOLER 1998, WAHR 2005, IRR 2017 as applicable.
* Supervise, manage and direct junior designers and graduate engineers.
* Assist in mentoring staff working towards EngTech status with the ICE and/or IStructE.
* Organise, manage and assist in delivering/to deliver technical discipline meetings and presentations (lunch & learns) on relevant civil, structural and/or nuclear engineering subject to the local and wider civil & structural cohort within Wood.
* Actively work towards professional status, of either the ICE and/or IStructE, to achieve IEng or CEng registration, as appropriate to the educational base.
* The role shall require a degree of flexibility and ability to travel, both in the UK and overseas, potentially requiring short trips to support other Wood engineering offices, site assignments/visits and/or trips to Client offices.
* Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written. Proficiency in other languages, notable French, Chinese or Japanese shall be highly advantageous.
* Ability to gain, and acknowledgment to submit to UK security clearance(s), as required to support project roles.
Skills / Qualifications
* International degrees shall be assessed and attested by the Engineering Council UK as meeting the requirements of UKSPEC and by the ICE, IStructE, or similar, as meeting the requirements for routes to either CEng or IEng status.
* International professional qualifications (e.g. MIEAust, MIPENZ, MIEI, MHKIE, etc) shall be in accordance with either the Washington Accord (CEng), or Sydney Accord (IEng), as qualifying for mutual recognition of professional status of the ICE, IStructE or similar.
* A minimum of 2 years’ post-graduate experience in the field of civil and/or structural engineering design. Ideally the candidate will possess 2-5 years’ experience.
* Demonstrable knowledge and recent experience in the application of Eurocodes, specifically EN 1990, EN 1991, EN 1992, EN 1993, EN 1996 & EN 1997.
* Knowledge and recent experience of EN 1998 would be advantageous.
* Knowledge of US codes and standards (ACI, AISC, ASCE) would be advantageous.
* Knowledge and proficiency of standard software packages such as SAP2000, STAAD Pro and experience in finite element analysis methods (FEA) would be advantageous.
* Knowledge and experience in drainage analysis/design using WinDes/Microdrainage would be advantageous.
* Experience in CAD packages, e.g. AutoCAD (2D/3D), REVIT (or other BIM systems) and/or other CAD systems would be advantageous.
* Should be a ‘graduate’ member of either the ICE or IStructE and actively be working towards IEng or CEng professional status.
* Demonstration of active IPD/CPD, supported by evidence of IPD/CPD returns for last 2 years, in support of training towards professional status.
* Experience of nuclear engineering, either nuclear new build, existing plant operations or decommissioning is highly desirable.
* In lieu of nuclear experience, experience gained in similar highly regulated industries, e.g. offshore/onshore oil & gas, rail or similar would be advantageous.
* A full, clean UK driver’s license would be highly advantageous.
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As a 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.