3 months ago
Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship Programme
We’ve got an exciting new opportunity at Amey. We’ve partnered with Coventry University to offer a Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship Programme where you’ll gain an engineering degree at the same time as getting real experience on the job and working on civil engineering projects for Amey Consulting and Amey Transport Infrastructure. If you’re looking for a way into civil engineering, the programme provides the perfect opportunity to kick start your career.
As an Apprentice Civil Engineer at Amey, you’ll be involved in the design and maintenance of highways and railways across the whole of the UK. You’ll have lots of opportunities to apply the skills and knowledge you have gained to solving practical real-world problems.
You’ll see your work progress from initial design to construction, with every project being different from the last. You’ll feel inspired to challenge yourself, as well as your colleagues. You’ll have the opportunity to thrive and we’ll help you shape your career.
What you'll get whilst on the programme
* A fully funded five year Civil Engineering BEng (HONS) degree course at Coventry University backed by on the job vocational training in one of our professional design offices.
* Experience and competency development leading to the award of Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status with the Institution of Civil Engineers through successful completion of the end point assessment. Beyond this, there will be an opportunity to progress to Chartered Engineer (CEng) status if you wish.
* A competitive starting salary (from £18,135 per year) rising in line with your progress and achievements.
* Civil engineering experience working as part of a professional team, gained through involvement with real schemes in the design office and on site
* A structured programme of targeted training and development activities, designed to complement what you will learn at university and whilst working
What we're looking for
* Willingness to travel to Coventry University and attend one residential study block per year of 8 weeks’ duration (increasing to 11 weeks from Year 3). The university block starts each year mid-May.
* Available to join the programme in Spring 2021.
* Passion for developing your skills both professional and personally.
* A commitment to complete a five-year degree course whilst working.
* The drive to complete the end point assessment and gain Incorporated Engineer status.
* Qualification requirements – 112 UCAS points from A Levels or BTEC which must include a Maths-based subject plus another Science/Technology subject, e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science or Engineering (achieved). If you have completed a Level 3 Engineering Apprenticeship, you are eligible to apply.
* GCSE English Language and Maths at grade C or 4.
What we'll give you in return
We place great value on all our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we offer a competitive Apprenticeship Programme:
* A competitive starting salary from £18,135 per annum, and you’ll have annual salary reviews based on your performance. This programme offers you the opportunity to be fast-tracked to an Assistant Engineer position upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
* A fully funded Civil Engineering degree course at one of England’s top universities.
* A structured career route through to Incorporated Engineer status with an option to progress further to Chartered status.
* As an Amey employee, you’ll be eligible for our wider benefits and rewards for example, professional subscriptions, our Employee Assistance Programme, Save with Amey – a fantastic discount scheme for all employees and not to forget our Amey Flexible Benefits Programme where you can opt for benefits that suit you
* You’ll receive mentoring and guidance from the industry experts you’ll be working closely with.
* We as a business will support you every step of the way; you’ll have a manager to mentor your progress, a buddy to guide you whilst on programme and access to a dedicated Early Careers community to support you.
* To support with your personal development, you’ll take part in webinars with the wider Apprentice community as well as Wellbeing events to ensure you’re getting the support you need.
More about the programme
Depending on the location you choose, we have opportunities across Amey Consulting and Transport Infrastructure. Here’s some more information about the different areas:
We have opportunities in Swindon, Staffordshire, Birmingham, Trafford, Birchwood, Sheffield, Warrington.
At Amey Consulting we deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners; giving you the unique opportunity to bring truly ground-breaking work to life. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. Nowhere else offers quite the same combination of positive influences and experiences to help you deliver your best. We’re proud of what we do, because we’re all given the freedom to perform - it’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask the right questions to arrive at smarter solutions because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means smarter outcomes for our clients, our communities and ourselves.
Transport Infrastructure – Highways
We have opportunities in Bristol, Staffordshire, Goole, Knutsford, Kent.
We make journeys better and exploring easier – by helping to make roads safer, railways smoother and our streets and green spaces clean.
Working through locally-based teams, we support communities by helping to create better, safer and more pleasant places through the provision of integrated highway design, well-designed streets, well-maintained grounds, modern public lighting and efficient winter maintenance solutions.
And with 4.8 million journeys a day on UK railways, we are also hard at work day and night maintaining the railways with the latest signalling systems, upgraded track and overhead lines and regular asset inspections.
Transport Infrastructure – Rail
We have opportunities in Crawley.
We work with rail providers and train operating companies to keep their existing assets running as smoothly as possible, while making sure passengers can always travel safely across the rail network.
We support our clients, such as Network Rail, to deliver major infrastructure investment projects to upgrade the network, as well as day-to-day operations to keep the lines running safely.
Our Rail team has grown over the past few years to be one of the largest and most diverse rail organisations in the UK, covering rail systems including track, signalling, power systems and electrification along with associated civil engineering works. We also deliver major enhancements, asset management including inspections, light rail and an integrated heavy rail franchise through our operation of the Docklands Light Railway, Manchester Metrolink and Wales and Borders rail franchise.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.