6 months ago
Civil Engineer Reinforced Concrete Surveillance Team - (ATE0003SQ)
Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Providing a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, and construction – and program - management. Our 77,000+ employees in 400+ locations around the world serve a broad range of companies and organisations including industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
During our 125 years in the UK, we have been involved in some of the biggest and most challenging projects, delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to the country’s most critical issues, from access to clean air and safe water, civil and national security and safeguarding mobility.
That’s because Jacobs is much more than just a traditional engineering company.
Ranked No. 1 by Fortune’s 2019 World's Most Admired Companies…
Business Unit Description:
With more than fifty years of Nuclear experience, Jacobs has unrivalled nuclear capability and provides full life-cycle solutions to our nuclear clients. Services include programme and project management, design and engineering, reactor support, construction, commissioning, operations, maintenance, (radioactive) waste management, decommissioning and clean-up.
We have consistently delivered value and innovation to technically challenging and complex nuclear and environmental-related projects by offering multidisciplinary capabilities, technical expertise, proven processes and a commitment to regulatory compliance, health, safety and quality workmanship.
As part of the Responsible Designer for the Hinkley Point C project, our Client provides Engineering Design support for the Balance of the Nuclear Island (BNI).
This role is a member of a large integrated team seconded into Client team focused on providing high quality design, engineering knowledge & expertise.
The Civil Engineer will work as part of the Reinforced Concrete (RC) Surveillance Team within the Civil Transverse Group.
The purpose of the job is to complete surveillance of the 3D RC models and 2D RC drawings generated by the Civil Works Designer. Comment sheets to capture issues will be produced and dialogue with the Civil Works Detailer will be required to ensure the timely resolution of comments to meet the overarching design delivery schedule.
They will directly receive work assignments from and report to either the Civil Building pilots or the RC Surveillance Team Coordinator.
• The ability to innovate, think laterally and implement processes
• Ability to influence stakeholders and resources
• Ability to engage multiple stakeholders with different objectives
• Being honourable, trustworthy, fair and honest – respecting confidentiality
• Get results and make things happen
• Ability to influence stakeholders with both within and external to client business
• Engaging and influencing a team of professionals
• Recognising, drawing out and utilising the skills of others
• Share knowledge, experience, reward and leadership
• Create a working environment of safety, autonomy and trust
The civil engineer will carry out surveillance of the 3D RC models and 2D RC drawings generated by the Civil Works Designer. The output from the surveillance will be comment sheets associated with:
• Consistency of deliverables with input data;
• Compliance with codes, standards and established UK best practice;
• Issues associated with reinforcement congestion and other constructability considerations;
• Compliance with design intent as defined by the Civil Works Contractor.
The civil engineer is required to work collaboratively with the other members of the RC Surveillance Team to share knowledge and experience relating to reinforced concrete design and detailing. Issues identified are to be effectively shared to ensure that transverse technical issues apparent across multiple batches / buildings are identified and resolved. The Civil Engineer is also required to:
• Liaise with the Civil Building teams and assist in the review of construction method statements.
• Technically review standard reinforcement concrete details presented by either the Civil Works Designer or Civil Works Detailer.
• Participate in collaborative meetings to agree the detailing approach for complex and non-standard areas of the structure.
• Occasional trips to Paris, France.
The Civil Engineer works closely with the Civil Building Pilots, Transverse Civils and RC Surveillance Engineers. They will also maintain the interface with other Civil Work Teams inside the Responsible Designer Organisation as well as the interface with the Civil Works Detail Designer.
Note1: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the responsibilities & activities that the job holder may be required to undertake
Note2: Based on our Client site Monday to Friday – 40 hours per week
Note3: Travel and Subsistence is not paid for this role
Note4: Please provide travel plan to Bristol to undertake this role / salary expectation / current notice period on Cover Letter with this application
• Civil Engineering Degree.
• Civil/Structural Design office experience.
• Detailed knowledge/understanding of the Eurocodes related to civil engineering, especially Eurocode 2.
• Reinforced Concrete Design and Detailing Experience and a knowledge of the design of fastenings in concrete including a good understanding of UK established good practice. Further to this, an understanding of detailing to resist extreme dynamic loading (e.g. seismic, blast, etc.).
• Knowledge of the design of reinforced concrete structures
• Experience of working on complex, large scale reinforced concrete projects in a highly regulated industry / sector.
• Basic Knowledge of the NavisWorks Software package for the review of 3D models.
• Knowledge and understanding of relevant Health and Safety regulations
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in a team as well as on own initiative
• Results focused with the ability to meet commitments & deadlines
• Highly organised with attention to detail
• Ability to identify continuous improvements
• Fluent in English – written & verbal
• Chartered Engineer (or progressing towards chartered status) with a relevant institution (e.g. ICE, IStructE).
• Knowledge of ETC-C codes and International codes for the design and detailing of reinforced concrete seismic resistant structures (e.g. ACI-349).
• Knowledge and experience of using the TEKLA software package.
• Experience in the Nuclear Sector would be beneficial.
• Knowledge of construction methods and constraints with respect to reinforced concrete structures.
• Experience in previous EPR or other nuclear projects
• Experience of working in a fast pace engineering project environment
• French language skills – written & verbal
Software & Tools:
• MS Office & Outlook
• BPSS level clearance required
Accepting Candidates: Junior Engineer / Engineer/ Chartered Engineer / Senior Engineer
• RC Surveillance Team:
o Experienced Civil Engineer
• RC Surveillance Team:
o Junior Civil Engineer to support the team
o Grad+3 years up to Grad+5 years who has a background in civil RC design
o Does not need to be a detailing expert as this is a support role and would be trained & developed once in post
• Civil Transverse Team:
o Junior Civil Engineer to support the team
o Grad+3 years up to Grad+5 years is what is needed.
o Would suit a self-starter, with excellent technical skills & good at stakeholder management
o Background in civil design is important
o Nuclear experience is not essential
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
: United Kingdom-United Kingdom Countrywide-Bristol
: Sep 3, 2019, 10:19:23 AM