10 months ago
Civil Engineer – Rail
Capita Infrastructure is looking to appoint a Chartered Civil Engineer with Rail project experienced based in Central Birmingham.
Capita Property and Infrastructure is part of Capita plc, the UK's leading provider of business process management and integrated professional support service solutions.
We have over 4,000 staff at 50+ offices in the UK and internationally, offering a vast range of professional and technical expertise across an unrivalled number of services. The breadth and depth of our experience ensures that we are able to add value to any project, regardless of its size, complexity or sector.
We do much more than simply delivering projects; we design, manage and partner. We focus on building strategic relationships with our clients - delivering a comprehensive service across their portfolio and optimising the benefits of continuous improvement in design quality, efficiency, cost reduction and knowledge retention. We support them at all stages of a project or programme, and our understanding of the key risks and challenges means that we direct effort where it is most needed
• Engaging with and developing good working relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholders, including local authorities, utility providers, utility contractor’s clients and other disciplines
• Help to develop the production of drawings, reports and specifications
• Scope and supervise surveys
• Input to and preparation of bids and proposals
• Providing technical guidance and mentoring to junior members of the team.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
• Experience of working in the UK rail industry with knowledge of Network Rail standards and approval processes.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to communicate with a variety of audience using different mediums.
• Able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team comprising planners, designers, engineers and technicians, providing technical guidance to less experienced members of the team.
• Manage own and others time, ensuring deliverables to agreed deadlines and within budget.
• Proven ability to write accurate, clear, high quality reports in English.
• Ability to respond to Project Manager and Client requests and meet challenging deadlines.
• Engineering degree in a relevant discipline.
• Chartered Member of the Institute of Civil Engineers or equivalent, or close to Chartership.
• Experience in delivering and managing all stages of multi-disciplinary engineering projects from initial studies through to detailed design.
• Typically, around 3-5 years' experience working in the rail sector.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
• Management and consulting skills and knowledge are desirable.
• Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges.
• Commercial awareness and an interest in the financial success of projects as well as engineering.
• Experience of Railway station developments desirable.
What’s in it for you?
As well as a generous basic salary we also give you 25 day’s holiday, company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share ownership scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle.
Our business is a fast emerging player in the property and infrastructure consultancy markets, capable of challenging the ‘status quo’ and delivering outstanding client facing results.
There are strong career opportunities across the Capita group nationwide and overseas, with a strategy of secondment and resource sharing to enable maximum opportunity for individuals.
Our culture is one of promotion according to talent and impact, not time served in the business. Ambition is expected and rewarded.
We invest heavily in our people, recognising that our staff are our most valuable asset. Individual training plans and accelerated schemes foster an environment of continual personal development.
All of this in a professional but fun environment.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process – click apply now.
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.