about 1 year ago
Civil Engineer (LON00003H)
: United Kingdom-Bristol-Bristol
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
How can we best work with you?? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role
We have an opportunity for a Civil Engineer, with broad skills in civil engineering to join our growing Civil Engineering group of 14 people in the Bristol Office.
We are looking for a proactive Civil Engineer to own and deliver projects and bring fresh ideas to enhance the way we work. Due to the number of people and parties we engage and coordinate with, good written and verbal communications skills are essential. The successful candidate shall work well in teams and have some experience delegating to colleagues.
The project variety is excellent and projects range in size and complexity. We work in a variety of business sectors such as aviation, rail, buildings, maritime and water. The team is energetic and this allows us to strive for ambitious targets in terms of digital design, 3D modelling and BIM. We frequently work with our buildings teams to deliver the associated infrastructure and we play a key role in the overall project coordination. Our ability to undertake complex coordination exercises is one of our specialisms which is why we seek a like minded engineer.
The core skills within the group are flood risk, drainage, SUDS, earthworks, pavement design, level strategies, utilities and access road designs. We can be appointed from feasibility through to construction and often advise throughout the construction period.
Planning and statutory approvals are an essential part of the job so good experience in the associated legislation and process is important.
You will be committed to your own professional development ideally by working towards, or have already achieved, an appropriate professional qualification.
Requirements and skills
The successful candidate will have experience and knowledge in the following:
· Owning and delivering civil engineering design packages.
· Below ground drainage design, with experience in the preparation of drawings, sections and schedules.
· Pavement design, with experience in the preparation of drawings and details.
· Preparation of specifications.
· Experience or awareness in the development of proposed levels for a scheme taking into consideration existing constraints and project requirements.
· Awareness of the local planning policies and understanding on how this influences projects.
· Able to coordinate with other engineering and architectural disciplines, and liaise with them in a collaborative manner.
· Able to write concise design reports and notes.
· Able to identify gaps in information required and prepare survey specification to obtain this data.
· Knowledge of the appropriate design codes such as Building Regulations, Sewers for Adoption, Design Manual for Roads and Bridges.
· Able to work with internal and external clients in order to agree mutually agreeable outcomes.
Essential software skills:
· General excellent computer literacy
· Microsoft office
· AutoCAD or Microstation
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
Preferably, the successful candidate will also have experience and knowledge of the following:
· Design of sustainable urban drainage systems and knowledge of the governing legislation.
· Flood Risk Assessments.
· Good digital skills in terms of transfer of data between internal and external parties.
· Ambitious digital skills in terms of creating efficiencies in the way we work and presenting information.
· Earthworks design and the preparation of contract information.
· Utilities planning and coordination.
· Design of minor access roads and service yards.
· Able to comment on and develop site masterplans in conjunction with design teams.
Beneficial software skills:
· Civil 3D
· Digital design tools, such as Navisworks
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent and specific term staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. Although specific-term employees cannot access the firm’s Flexible Benefit scheme, you will benefit from receiving the grade-related flex fund as additional cash.
In addition specific term employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.