11 months ago
Civil Designer - (ATE0002CN)
Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Providing a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, and construction – and program - management. Our 77,000+ employees in 400+ locations around the world serve a broad range of companies and organisations including industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
During our 125 years in the UK, we have been involved in some of the biggest and most challenging projects, delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to the country’s most critical issues, from access to clean air and safe water, civil and national security and safeguarding mobility.
That’s because Jacobs is much more than just a traditional engineering company.
Ranked No. 1 by Fortune’s 2019 World's Most Admired Companies…
Business Unit Description:
With more than fifty years of Nuclear experience, Jacobs has unrivalled nuclear capability and provides full life-cycle solutions to our nuclear clients. Services include programme and project management, design and engineering, reactor support, construction, commissioning, operations, maintenance, (radioactive) waste management, decommissioning and clean-up.
We have consistently delivered value and innovation to technically challenging and complex nuclear and environmental-related projects by offering multidisciplinary capabilities, technical expertise, proven processes and a commitment to regulatory compliance, health, safety and quality workmanship.
As part of the Responsible Designer for the Hinkley Point C project, our Client provides Engineering Design support for the Balance of the Nuclear Island (BNI).
This role is a member of a large integrated team seconded into Client team focused on providing high quality design, engineering knowledge & expertise.
The Civil Designer will be responsible for checking the 3D model and drawings from the supplier against the 3D model which has been provided.
They will also create the PDMS-3D model and produce 2D and 3D deliverables based on the input data provided and in accordance with the applicable design procedures and instructions.
The Civil Designer is assigned to one of the buildings on the nuclear island and their activity is coordinated by the Civil and Layout Engineers.
They will work closely with the Civil and Layout Engineers who are responsible for the layout and design studies.
• The ability to innovate, think laterally and implement processes
• Ability to influence stakeholders and resources
• Ability to engage multiple stakeholders with different objectives
• Being honourable, trustworthy, fair and honest – respecting confidentiality
• Get results and make things happen
• Ability to influence stakeholders with both within and external to client business
• Engaging and influencing a team of professionals
• Recognising, drawing out and utilising the skills of others
• Share knowledge, experience, reward and leadership
• Create a working environment of safety, autonomy and trust
• Performing 2D-3D-Checks or 3D-3D-Checks (3D-Model check against other 3D model, Formwork drawings, reinforcement drawings).
• Creating and modifying of the PDMS 3D-Model, by modelling;
o components and equipment
o civil structure
• According to the input data and drawings provided and ensuring that the tractability is maintained throughout the model.
• When requests for changes are issued by the various engineering teams, the Designer will incorporate the changes into the 3D model, having checked for technical consistency.
• In the event of any technical problems or deviations, the CAD Designer informs the Building Layout/Civil Leader, offers technical advice and makes corrections to the 3D model. They will produce 2D drawings associated with layout engineering (general layout drawing division into fire safety zones, etc.).
• Performing component introduction, installation or maintenance simulations; preparing layout studies.
• Work closely with the Civil and Layout Engineers who are responsible for the layout and design studies.
Note1: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the responsibilities & activities that the job holder may be required to undertake
Note2: Based on our Client site Monday to Friday – 40 hours per week
Note3: Travel and Subsistence is not paid for this role
Note4: Please provide travel plan to Bristol to undertake this role / salary expectation / current notice period on Cover Letter with this application
• Civil Engineering Technician OR higher education
• Design office experience with knowledge in production or surveillance of drawings: General arrangement, Formwork, Reinforcement
• Knowledge of AutoCAD 2D
• Good knowledge and understanding of general civil rules.
• Knowledge of the technical constraints associated with civil design and should be able to manage and work with design and layout constraints
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in a team as well as on own initiative
• Results focused with the ability to meet commitments & deadlines
• Highly organised with attention to detail
• Ability to identify continuous improvements
• Fluent in English – written & verbal
• Experience in construction on site
• Experience in PWR design
• Experience in previous EPR or other nuclear projects
• French language skills – written & verbal
Software & Tools:
• MS Office – essential
• PDMS software (3D) (or knowledge in similar 3D) and knowledge of TEKLA software - desirable
• BPSS level clearance required
Accepting candidates: Designer Level 2 candidates
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
: United Kingdom-United Kingdom Countrywide-Bristol
: Mar 18, 2019, 5:24:21 PM