8 months ago
City Economics Consultant (BRI00009X)
: United Kingdom-Cardiff-Cardiff
: Economic Planning
City Economics Consultant – Cardiff
Would you like to join our City & Economics team in Cardiff? The team within Arup’s Integrated City Planning business is growing and has a new opportunity for a city economics consultant with a background in economic analysis, business cases, and policy advice.
• As a Consultant, you will be responsible for managing tasks including business case and policy assessments for a mix of public and private sector clients.
• You will help develop infrastructure plans across multiple sectors, help deliver feasibility studies and plans for major new urban infrastructure, investigate the wider impacts of investments, undertake economic analysis (including cost-benefit analysis), as well as help provide advice on how to fund and finance these future investments.
• You will also play a role in Arup’s thought leadership in cities, what drives their growth, and what influences quality of life.
• Across the public and private sectors, you will help our more senior team members manage client relationships with government departments, local authorities, transport authorities and operators, project and property developers, infrastructure operators and other organisations.
• Our work is mainly focussed in the UK (especially the South West, Wales and Northern Ireland), with a proportion of overseas travel according to individual project need.
Nearly seventy percent of the world’s population will be living in cities by 2030. They are the world’s engines for growth and will drive future prosperity: cities are the places that drive the economy, that address global issues, and that provide the innovations of the future. Cities also face many challenges, including providing high quality transportation systems to service economic need, to encourage investment, and to contribute to a high quality of life of citizens. The relationship between transit, housing, spatial planning and agglomeration access is also becoming more widely acknowledged, meaning that decision makers increasingly value strategic, integrated advice that takes account of the intertwining of the different systems.
As part of Arup’s Integrated City Planning practice, the City Economics team provides strategy, policy, economic and business planning services to high-profile clients on the most important issues that are faced by cities. The team has advised the most important clients in this space, has developed powerful collaborations with some of the leading thinkers and lobbyists, and is at the forefront of thinking on a range of issues that will shape cities’ development, including transport strategy as well as economic development and regeneration policy. We now invite you to join us to help shape a better world.
Skills/Experience required for the role
• A keen interest in cities, and an appreciation of the challenges and opportunities that they face, along with an understanding of the interaction of the major policy areas (transport, housing, commercial development, funding and financing, quality of life, and others).
• Educated to degree level in economics, mathematics or related discipline, highly literate, with excellent writing skills.
• Highly numerate, with strong mathematical skills and an experienced user of MS Excel.
• Typically, over 2 years’ experience of analytical experience in cities, transport or housing.
• An appreciation of the strategic case for investment, and to see the “bigger picture”.
• Ability to write clear reports, to reach conclusions, to present effectively, and to help manage client relationships.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
• Knowledge of business case appraisal techniques (such as the Department for Transport’s WebTAG framework and the HM Treasury five case model, among others).
• Experience developing appraisals of the Wider Economic Impacts (WEIs) of investments in cities, particularly in the transport field.
• Previous consultancy experience.
• Experience working with a client-side organization in the cities sphere.
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Closing date: 01.02.2019