10 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Overall Purpose of the Job:
Working in, or technically leading, project teams as a System Engineer with strong requirements engineering skills, able to operate throughout a project's lifecycle to engage with stakeholders, scope and elicit their needs, engineer these into a structured, disciplined model of their requirements and support subsequent acquisition of a solution.
• Working flexibly either as part of a team or singly, delivering Requirements Engineering projects to support internal and external customers in their planning and management of acquisition, research or product development activities.
• Identifying, engaging and managing internal and external stakeholder communities.
• Analysing stakeholder needs and expectations to elicit, document and manage their requirements for a capability.
• Analysing customer requirements and translating them into logical system requirements and constraints
• Managing complex information sets.
• Supporting the procurement phase of projects.
• Supporting the V&V phase of projects.
• Collaborating with project teams as a solution develops to ensure its continuing compliance to requirements.
• Identification of, and reporting back on, additional customer business opportunities.
Successful outcomes of this role:
• Has successfully engaged and managed stakeholder communities.
• Has successfully elicited, engineered and managed good quality stakeholder requirements.
• Has successfully elicited, engineered and managed good quality, customer-endorsed stakeholder requirements.
• Able to produce good quality, customer-endorsed, system requirements.
• Applying the emotional intelligence necessary to work successfully with diverse stakeholder groups.
• Identifying and delivering solutions to customers’ real, unstated needs as well as those directly expressed.
• Coping with the complexity of enterprise / technical problems.
• Differentiating problem definition from solution design.
• Rapidly assimilating information and gaining a good understanding of the problems and issues associated with new tasks.
• Working with multidisciplinary teams that may be drawn from across the organisation (and potentially more widely).
• Thriving in a varied, complex, and frequently changing work environment, often with demanding timescales.
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training:
• Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering or technical discipline, or proven experience working in an equivalent engineering role. (Typ. Aerospace / Mechanical / Electronics / Systems Engineering, Physics)
• Intention to join appropriate professional body.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
• An ability to understand and analyse business need (Operational User / Mission Need) and articulate these as requirements. It would be beneficial (not essential) if this included evidence of having worked on or with operational analysts
• An ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders (often with conflicting or unsupportive views) to establish and validate this need, and provide supporting argument / evidence to business cases. Evidence of developing stakeholder support through influence would also be desirable
• Experience of translating business need into high level requirements and design, at the enterprise level, covering the range of elements that make up capabilities (e.g. pan DLOD, PPITF)
• Ability to work with other Project/Systems Engineering and Subject Matter Experts to develop detailed designs and planning.
• Experience of planning for integration, verification and validation across defence or UKIC
• Experience of undertaking IV&V across either of these communities but ideally defence
• Experience of capability rollout (transfer to operations), generating business outcomes.
• Experience of undertaking the above using Agile (desirable) and ‘V’ (Essential) lifecycles.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
• Knowledge of the particular domains we operate within:
o Cryptography and Key Management
o Vulnerability Research (CN*)
o Cyber Defence
o Cyber Exercising
• Requirements Engineering experience
• Understanding of the difference between Stakeholder/User Requirements, System Requirements and Design Specifications
• Broad understanding of MOD and industry standard acceptance processes
• Good negotiation and presentation skills
• Proficiency in DOORS® use
• Understanding of Information Management principles
• Solid Systems Engineering knowledge
• Experience of supporting acquisition projects
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Natural systems thinker.
• Enjoys addressing unknowns.
• Has analytical and logical thinking skills.
• Self-motivated, with a ‘can-do’ attitude.
• Collaborative, ‘one team’ outlook.
• Has analytical and logical thinking skills.
• Able to work and produce consistent results with minimal supervision.
• Good questioning, listening, influencing and general interpersonal skills.
• Well-developed oral, written communication and presentation skills.
• Is able to communicate well, using stakeholder language.
• Can adapt and work flexibly
• Can work on several projects simultaneously
• Keeps abreast of new knowledge and developments in the field of Requirements Engineering
• Experience in the defence domain
• Understanding of architectures, including enterprise architecting
• Understanding of Information Management principles.
• Model Based Systems Engineering
• Architectural Framework (e.g. MODAF, TOGAF) experience
• Flexibility to travel as required to support project activities
QinetiQ Systems Engineering Grading
GG10 - Associate
GG11 - Junior
GG12 - Senior
GG13 - Principal
GG14 - Senior Principal
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:-
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets.
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community