3 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
This role is a direct report to the Group Leader Safety Engineering for governance, technical requirements, and safety matters. There will be a functional line to the Head of Discipline for strategy requirements.
The purpose of the Chief Engineer role is to:
(1) Ensure the through-life proportionate application of technical governance to the Safety Engineering Group products and services,
(2) Provide independent holistic assurance of specific customer deliverables
(3) Assess risk to the safe, professional and sustainable engineering function within the Safety Engineering Group.
(4) Provide a Safety Engineering interface for MoD and other Customers
(5) Act as the Senior Assurance Lead for the Safety Engineering Group
(6) Maintain the Assurance capability of the Safety Engineering Group in the provision of qualified and authorised Technical Assurers (TA) and Project Independent Assurance Reviewers (IAR)
(7) Provide expertise to shape continuous improvement in the Safety Engineering Group capabilities and the competence framework scheme.
(8) Develop/ support the technical strategy for the Safety Engineering Group
(9) Develop and maintain catalogue of internal expertise.
(10) Work in collaboration with QinetiQ’s Capability Leads to ensure they fully understand our capability and capacity in the development of their roadmaps and strategies.
Specific responsibilities for which the post holder has a requirement to deliver:
• Independently assuring that all deliverables within area of responsibility meet appropriate standards, comply with statutory, regulatory, company, business stream, and project specific policy, processes and procedures; and to meet the Customer requirements.
• Engineering approval and release of customer deliverables to the Project Release Authority.
• Lead Safety Engineering interface for MoD and other Customers
• Lead for the Safety Engineering Group strategy
• Interfacing with regulatory authorities on engineering aspects appropriate to Safety Engineering.
• Working as a key part of the Discipline/Group leadership team ensuring that Engineering Governance is appropriate and proportionate, and matched to future business need.
• Provide guidance to the engineering capability leads to ensure capabilities are matched to future business needs.
• Approval of Technical Assurance Providers for the Safety Engineering Group.
• Ensure that the QinetiQ Capability Leads are made aware of the Safety Engineer Group’s capabilities so that they can ensure the customers understand our services.
• Develop and manage the succession planning requirements to maintain a SQEP capability.
Knowledge, Skills required:
• Demonstrated successful delivery of effective engineering governance.
• Ability to make sound engineering judgements.
• Demonstrated successful engineering leadership at senior level in a relevant field.
• Demonstrated business understanding at senior level in a complex technical organisation.
• Successful customer management at senior level.
• Demonstrable experience of guiding and shaping technical high performance teams to deliver efficient output.
• Dynamic project environment with changing requirements and priorities;
• Aligning engineering staff to new ways of working and in new markets;
• Ensuring engineering governance is appropriate to current and future work;
• Retaining “world class” standards through Continuous Improvement;.
• Leading by example in assuring that appropriate engineering governance is applied across the area of responsibility.
• Reporting status of engineering governance within the business area and raising any non-conformance issues.
• Ensure appropriate tailoring of process at project level, and that processes remain effective and efficient.
• Dissemination of engineering best practice and promotion of common approaches across all elements of your area of responsibility.
• Providing advice to the Programme / Project Management community on relevant engineering issues.
• Participating and encouraging networking and knowledge sharing within the engineering community
• Supporting engineering mentoring activities with their area of responsibility
• Contributing to Safety Group Engineering and Technical Strategy
Personal and Behavioural requirements:
• Effective and influential communicator;
• Confident and able decision maker;
• Good team player
• Customer focussed;
• Motivating, engaging and supportive style;
• Inspirational and visible leader helping shape the direction of the function;
• Ability to work to deadlines in a pressurised environment on complex projects;
• Good engineering judgement;
• Engineering degree/MSc in Safety Engineering.
• Professionally Registered (e.g. Chartered or Incorporated Engineer)
• Experience of working in or with MoD regulators and the Services at senior level.
Location: Boscombe Down / Farnborough / Bristol