6 months ago
Company Order Number:
# of openings:
Vacancy: Chemical Engineer
Job Family: Engineering.
The Life Science Technologies (LST) business unit of Johnson Matthey’s New Market Sector focusses on serving the pharmaceutical, agrochemical and fine chemical markets. Our products include an extensive line of novel palladium coupling catalysts, a major chiral technologies platform combining biocatalysis and asymmetric hydrogenation, supported heterogeneous precious and base metal catalysts. These products and technologies are developed from concept all the way to production quantities at Johnson Matthey’s various plants in the USA, UK and India.
We have an exciting new vacancy for a Chemical engineer to join our team in Cambridge.
* Working with the Chemistry Development Team to ensure the safe and robust transfer of lab-scale processes to batch mini-plant
* Carrying out process safety evaluations following development scale investigations in readiness for scale-up
* Carrying out engineering calculations as required for process safety and equipment usage/ modification
* Participation in hazard studies for chemical processes and equipment installation
* Preparing and reviewing operating procedures for new mini-plant and associated equipment
* Hands on laboratory-scale experimentation
* Preparation and review of process documentation for catalyst and ligand manufacture
* Hands on operation of mini-plant from 10L to 100L scale
* Working with the Kilo-Lab team to develop new meso-scale continuous flow manufacturing processes.
* Reporting to the Kilo Lab team leader working as a key member of a small multi-disciplinary team.
Are you the ideal candidate?
* Have a minimum of a B.Eng in Chemical engineering or BSc in Industrial Chemistry
* Demonstrate a level of laboratory safety awareness
* Strong practical understanding of chemical process safety
* Familiarity with hands on chemistry in a laboratory and pilot plant environment
* Strong understanding of environmental and sustainability considerations at pilot plant scale
* Trained in HAZOP procedures
* Be proficient in Microsoft Visio and AutoCad
* Proficient in preparing piping and instrumentation diagrams for new equipment and updating drawings for modifications to existing equipment
How to apply:
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online.
CVs will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. This vacancy may be closed once sufficient applications have been received.
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.