3 months ago
Position Title: Business Manager: Systems Engineering
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any UK Ricardo Rail office – Derby/ London/ Preston or York
Reporting to: Consulting Director UK
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, Ricardo employs over 2,700 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s railway operators and infrastructure owners, original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion, we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is Ricardo’s rail division. It is a 600 person multi-disciplinary railway consultancy providing expert advisory and independent assurance services across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Our shared goal is to provide class-leading quality and technical excellence; care and integrity drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
The UK Rail business employees c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby.
We are seeking to appoint a highly experienced, industry-acknowledged Business Manager to develop our 35-strong UK systems engineering team. This team is a cornerstone of our UK activities and includes expertise in safety engineering, Reliability, Availability and Maintainability (RAM), Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) and Human Factors (HF).
The essence of the Business Manager’s role is to manage a team of experts, maintain and develop a well-stocked pipeline of opportunities and deliver a project portfolio with the right level of technical integrity in accordance with cost and time expectations.
The successful candidate will:
* possess a strong track-record in systems engineering, having delivered large programmes of work in this field;
* be expected to possess an expert understanding of the V-lifecycle and the various disciplines that systems engineering entails in a complex, safety critical environment;
* be expected to grow market presence, extend the client base, widen the service offering and achieve strong financial performance;
Accountability / Key Responsibilities
* To build, manage and grow a successful systems engineering business within Ricardo Rail UK ;
* To create, own and deliver a business plan for systems engineering;
* To develop the pipeline and order book for systems engineering;
* To act as Bid Director, Project Director and/or Project Manager for appropriate projects;
* To oversee the portfolio of projects in systems engineering such that it matches or exceeds approved margins;
* To negotiate and win contracts;
* To define and provide the resources required to deliver current projects and to meet forecasts;
* To routinely report on the performance of the systems engineering team;
* To identify potential new service areas, select leaders for new services, provide direction to the service leaders and help them to develop their offering;
* To lead and manage people whilst they are working within the systems engineering team;
* To comply with Ricardo Rail’s Health and Safety requirements with respect to their personal health and safety and, as manager, to be responsible and accountable within their respective areas for: the management and control of risk, demonstrating visible safety leadership and ensuring implementation of health and safety systems and compliance;
In order to be successful, you will be able to demonstrate the following:
* Chartered Engineer and member of the appropriate engineering institution;
Technical expertise & skills:
* A strong track-record in systems engineering in the rail sector, having delivered large programmes of work in this field;
* An expert understanding of the V-lifecycle and the various disciplines that systems engineering entails in a complex, safety critical environment;
* Proven success in client relationships and business management;
* Substantial experience of working in a professional services environment;
* A wide appreciation of all rail disciplines and competencies;
* Proven ability to manage and deliver projects on time and to budget;
* Proven experience of effective performance management;
* Ability to devise, develop and implement efficient and effective business processes;
* Prepared to undergo random drugs and alcohol testing and/or medical screening as required;
* Able to routinely travel to Ricardo offices throughout the UK (and occasionally internationally);