4 months ago
Requisition ID: 230995
Business Development Representative – West Africa
This position will be based in Dakar, Senegal. May require selected candidate to start in the UK and transition to Senegal in due course
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
This is a business development role within the Europe, Africa and Middle East Business Line covering all Infrastructure sectors across West Africa.
* Establish and maintain relationships with customers, key stakeholders and strategic teaming partners.
* Be able to interact at the highest levels of Government and to engage with all levels in the stakeholders involved in developing large complex infrastructure projects.
* Responsible for identifying, evaluating, and recommending prospective new work within a specific market area, including strategic market creation, establishment and development opportunities.
* Develop and implement strategy to win new business opportunities including coordinating with functional departments in formulating strategy, leading proposal preparation and negotiations with customers.
1. Directs efforts and activities in maintaining and improving relationships with key stakeholders and building relations with prospective customers. Is responsible for:
* Building and maintaining personal relationships with appropriate middle and senior management executives in customer organizations, government/public bodies and strategic teaming partner organizations.
* Keeping informed of customers' present and future growth plans and projects including programmatic and technical requirements.
* Demonstrating through personal knowledge, supplemented by other Bechtel personnel, how Bechtel can help meet the customers’ requirements and expectations.
* Liaises with Project Managers for assigned projects/customers in the engagement and follow-through on the customer survey process and results.
2. Directs and actively participates in planning the business development/capture strategy for specific prospects. Keeps aware of the business development activity and strategy of competitors, including their pricing trends and approaches. Co-ordinates closely with the team based in Nairobi and the head office in London.
3. Oversees and provides input into research of current and possible future strategic markets within market area. Recommends new services and new industry markets that the company should actively pursue.
4. Supervises the preparation and coordination of proposals, including developing and managing proposal win plans and guiding market intelligence.
5. Develops teaming and pricing strategies and leads proposal and pricing reviews with functional and senior managers.
6. Apprises functional management on as needed basis of prospect status; coordinates proposal and prospect staffing needs, initiates, follows-through and obtains appropriate management approval as per legal instructions and corporate policies.
7. Has input to regional strategy, leads proposal presentations and leads negotiations with customers.
8. Directs the preparation and ensures corporate approval of deals . Follows up on jobs won and lost to determine the reasons why Bechtel was or was not selected.
9. Maintains active presence in the industry, with strategic teaming partners and subcontractors including small businesses and businesses owned by underrepresented groups.
10. Keeps informed of business relationships between Bechtel managers and key executives and government officials in customer and prospective customer organizations and sees that these are utilized in overall business development efforts
11. Responsible for development, training and performance review of any direct reports and assigned staff.
* Fluent oral and written communication skills in French and English, with demonstrated ability to deliver compelling presentations to customers and management in both languages.
* Sales experience required, and at least 5 years in West Africa, and/or experience with engaging high-level government officials and/or winning / structuring large infrastructure projects
* Thorough knowledge of current industry trends, project execution, operations and services to other customers, specifically in West Africa.
* Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions and “connecting dots” through disparate information
* Ability to influence without direct authority with strong covenant-based behavior. Works well with teams and other departments.
* Able to champion deals both internally and externally with adequate commercial knowledge to explore options and solutions with both. Is articulate and concise in describing the deal and associated risk and benefits.
* Ability to sell Bechtel’s value proposition, execution approach and commercial positions to customers through knowledge and authenticity.
* Responsive to internal and external customers with consistent follow-up and follow-through
* Demonstrated initiative and dedication to pursuit of new work; serves as the internal advocate for a prospect.
* Self-directed, requires limited daily supervision or guidance.
* Proven ability to think adaptively and work effectively in fluid environments.
* Able to work collaboratively and effectively within a large, global organization
* Prior experience in Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Morocco desirable
* Strong knowledge and experience of major project financing desirable
* Knowledge in preparation of win plans, pre-positioning, targeting, pursuit and securing of strategic prospects.
* Knowledge of corporate policies and directives related to proposal and contract formulation.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.