6 months ago
Building Performance Engineer – Control Systems or Mechanical (MAN00003W)
: United Kingdom-Manchester-Manchester
: Controls & Commissioning
Building Performance Engineer – Control Systems or Mechanical
Would you like to join our Building Performance and Systems (BPS) team in Manchester? We have a new opportunity for a building performance and systems engineer, with a core skill in mechanical or control systems, to satisfy our established workload.
The successful candidate will be required to work in London or Glasgow 3 days per week for an initial period of up to 6 months in order to become conversant with all of the BPS service offerings. A further 2 days per week will be spent in the Manchester office with support from other BPS team members. Following this initial period, the role will be based full-time in the Manchester office with travel as required to other offices for meetings and project commitments. All travel expenses will be met by Arup.
Our 30+ strong Building Performance and Systems (BPS) team has world class expertise, based upon over 30 years of practical experience. Our services span the lifecycle of the building from concept through construction, operation and feedback which enables continuous improvement. Our work helps to optimise the performance of buildings to meet business needs, reducing operational cost and environmental impact whilst improving occupant wellbeing and productivity. We are involved in the design of BMS/Controls for buildings and the commissioning of new and existing buildings (including soft landings).
The BPS team offer an exciting and challenging working environment, delivering high quality innovative solutions for new build, refurbishment and post occupancy projects across several market sectors, including commercial, transport, financial, health and the arts.
The role will include many of the following responsibilities:
• Site Investigations, forensics and troubleshooting
• Building Surveys – energy, condition, and defects
• Developing Energy and Carbon Management Strategies
• Design and implementation of metering and monitoring systems
• Mechanical design of remedial works
• HVAC Controls and integrated systems design, specification and specialist advice.
• Commissionability review
• On site experience
• Interaction with contractors, FM’s and Operational staff on site
• Delivery of reports with recommendations (particularly for energy/operational cost reduction).
• Post Occupancy Evaluation (energy and occupant feedback using the BUS methodology).
• Presentation of results and recommendations to our clients and liaison with onsite maintenance teams.
• Client interface.
• Team working as part of the wider BPS team and in conjunction with the Buildings and Infrastructure teams.
• Commercial management, including input to bids and financial tracking of projects and maintaining own billable level targets.
• Sharing skills and knowledge with colleagues in BPS and across Arup.
• Research and development activities and maintaining ‘over the horizon’ awareness of technological developments.Interaction with contractors, FM’s and Operational staff on site
Skills/Experience required for the role
• Design through post occupancy and into operational buildings
• Degree qualified in a related discipline.
• Chartered or working towards Chartership
• Confident when liaising with project teams. The role requires communication at all levels, but especially on site when dealing with contractors/staff who manage the operation of buildings.
• Able to demonstrate a level of competency when interpreting data and information gathered during site surveys and be able to disseminate findings and recommendations through report writing and presentations.
• Able to demonstrate a high level of competency for report writing and communication.
• Capable of developing good internal relationships
• Good planning and organisational skills
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to compliment your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
The vacancy is being managed by John Fox – email@example.com
Closing date for applications - 11th October