6 months ago
Building Control Surveyor
About the role
This role is based within Regional Enterprise (Re) in Barnet, North London. This role requires you to be able to provide a range of professional and technical skills. To discharge the Council’s delegated powers and duties as required under the Building Regulations, Building Act and associated legislation. Assist in the provision of service for the diverse range of activities.
Re (Regional Enterprise) Ltd is the joint venture between the London Borough of Barnet and Capita. Our innovative commercial model was set up in 2013 and brings together the best of public and private sector delivery.
Our services include; Planning and development management, building control, land charges, environmental health, trading standards and licensing, cemetery and crematorium, highways, regeneration and strategic planning.
Through Re, our aim is to create places where people want to invest, live, work and play. We have grown our business to provide a range of property, development and regulatory services to other local authorities and commercial organisations.
Our team is made up of experienced and qualified surveyors who have great local knowledge and provide practical advice and guidance at every step of the way.
We work with homeowners, local builders, architect and agents to make sure that work carried out is safe, well-built and energy efficient.
In 2016, we worked with some of the country’s biggest developers. In 2017 we are looking at expanding our non-core work; grow our team and be the local leader in delivering CPD to builders, architects and investors.
This role will be based in Barnet. Travelling may be required to other Capita offices on occasions.
Role and Responsibilities
Key responsibilities of the role are:
* Ensure that all works controlled under the Building Regulations and associated legislation are undertaken in such a manner as to comply with substantive provisions.
* Provide professional advice and guidance to all users of the service and recommend innovative and practical solutions to complex building regulation queries
* Ensure unauthorised work is brought into compliance and lead on any necessary enforcement action under the Building Regulations and Building Act.
Prime responsibility for taking decisions on all aspects of Dangerous Structures and responding within 2-hour target time. When necessary to work in accordance with the emergency plan and liaise with other departments of the Council and outside bodies to achieve removal of the dangerous structure. Complete call out reports, issue and serve any required notices. Participation in the Dangerous Structures Out of Hours Call Out Rota.
* Contribute to the marketing and promotion of the Building Control Service so as to minimise the loss of work to Approved Inspectors in the private sector.
* Ensure the delivery of Building Control services to time scales and level of quality set by legislation, industry performance guidelines and internal targets.
* Prime responsibility for taking decisions on site of works as controlled under the Building Regulations and in accordance with Re's policy
* Prime responsibility for taking decisions on allocated Building Regulation applications, Notices and matters as allocated from the Area Manager
* Ensure that personal service performance targets are consistently achieved
* Assist the Area Manager in the delivery of a cost effective service
* Assist in reviewing, recommending and implementing changes to office procedures to optimise working practices
* Represent Re as expert witness at enforcement hearings in the Magistrates’ and Crown Courts as and when required
* Deputise and take decisions for the Area Manager in their absence
* Responsible for taking decisions on all aspects of Demolitions
* Undertake all duties in accordance with any Building Control Service Quality Assurance systems or other procedures
* Use office technology as required
* Assist the Area Manager in checking reports, recommendations and decisions on Building Regulation matters that are delegated from the Head of Building Control and Structure
* Lead on pre-application meetings and liaise with other agencies in a development team approach
* To act as a specialist in a major field of the building regulations (e.g. Parts B, E, L & M) and provide advice to in house and users of the service
* Use of technical equipment as provided by Re for testing/recording materials, and where necessary liaison with external bodies for testing. Record results, take appropriate action and be responsible for equipment carried.
* Responsible for drafting non-standard letters
* Undertake training and constructively take part in meetings, supervision, seminars and other events designed to improve communication and assist with the effective development of the post and post holder
* Responsible for undertaking Disabled Access Audits
* Undertake site inspections to determine compliance with Re’s Considerate Contractor Scheme
* Ensure safe and efficient delivery of service by achieving high standards of health and safety and reducing risk
Team Leadership and Management.
* Contribute on the development of procedures, systems (including quality control) and guidelines for the Building Control Service
* Prepare reports and briefing papers on behalf of the Building Control Management Team on issues relevant to the Service and Technical areas.
* Authorise expenditure on the Council’s behalf to remove dangerous structures where appropriate
* Collect site inspection charges, issuing receipts and arrange banking of charges in accordance with Re's Policy
* Assist in the recovery of bad debts.
* Train, mentor and develop junior members of the team.
* Previous successful experience in a building control section of a local authority or similar organisation processing complex building regulation applications; enforcing and remedying breaches.
* Competent user of IT, its application and potential application within a local government environment e.g. Uniform and Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook.
* Good knowledge of current building control legislation, guidance and issues relevant to the post specifically and the service generally
* An understanding of London or metropolitan/regional and local government building control and associated issues, policy trends and legal processes.
* Knowledge of the legislative requirements in relation to proposed demolition
* Understanding of LABC initiatives such as the Partner Authority and Type Approval schemes.
* A working knowledge of sustainability issues as they relate to building construction and design.
* Effective customer care skills and ability to successfully handle complaints.
* Ability to ensure that services provided are of a high quality and to agreed targets and service outcomes.
* Practical understanding of the implications of Health and Safety legislation particularly in relation to personal safety and the safety of others
* Relevant building degree
* Full driving licence and personal transport.
* Able to make site inspections including ability to climb ladders
* Not active in politics to a degree breeching the legislative restrictions on this post
* Ability to communicate with people in a friendly and courteous manner, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels;
* Confident in dealing with day-to-day performance issues as they arise;
* Positive approach to change, implementing new initiatives/procedures and addressing any resistance encountered;
* Good organisational skills
* Negotiable, depending on level of experience and qualifications
* 37.5 hours a week
* Annual leave 23 days
* The successful candidate will be encouraged to develop their career within Capita plc
* Access to many Capita benefits schemes