18 days ago
About the Role:
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think ground breaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
Within Norfolk Country Council the WSP team are fully integrated working side by side with NCC in joint teams all focusing on the same objectives. We have a joint management team and WSP staff managing joint teams of WSP and NCC staff, and vice versa.
Norfolk highways delivers all highway construction design projects within the County Council as part of its Capital Improvement and Structural Maintenance Programme including the Bridge Programme. The section also delivers VRS design, bridge inspections, asset management of the bridge stock and routine bridge maintenance work.
The Bridges Team provides an integrated design, inspection, asset management and technical service. Opportunities exist with both Norfolk County Council (NCC) and our consultant partner WSP.
* To assist/deliver/guide in the provision of safe and efficient technical bridge designs and project delivery, in a self-sufficient role to enable the department to deliver its capital programmes
* To assist/deliver/guide the bridge inspection (including Principal Inspections) and maintenance programme including inspection and monitoring of existing structures, design and preparation of schemes for bridge assessment, strengthening, reconstruction and maintenance work.
* A fully competent Engineer role demonstrated by relevant experience underpinned by knowledge and academic and professional achievement.
* As an experienced engineer you will mentor junior members of the team and deputise for the Project Engineer.
Norfolk is a great place to live and work, with beautiful countryside, picturesque towns and villages and over 90 miles of coastline. Norwich is a vibrant city with excellent shopping, eateries and activities all weaved around a historic backdrop.
“Opportunities exist with both Norfolk County Council (NCC) and our consultant partner WSP.”
A typical week would include:
* Undertake detailed design and the preparation of bills of quantities, drawings, estimates, specifications and contract documents.
* Carry out bridges inspections and prepare reports to enable priorities and future programmes of work to be determined.
* Programme and monitor inspection programmes for highway structures
* To prepare works orders for bridge routine maintenance works (including all supporting information eg specifications, consents and risk assessments)
* Ensure scheme costs are monitored during design and construction phases and that all the necessary process/procedures are closed out upon completion.
* Support, advise and allocate work to technicians/technical assistants in the team.
* Liaison with supervision staff and Contractor during construction stage to resolve design queries and unforeseen issues in a timely and cost effective manner
* Prepare preliminary studies and public consultation materials; consult with other organisations and the public so that alternative options can be explored.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* An Engineer will require a minimum of 3 years relevant experience of highways/structural design and project management skills. The post holder is expected to demonstrate self-motivation and initiative and should have the ability to plan the workload of themselves and others to ensure they meet targets that are set for them. Ideally the post holder would be able to demonstrate a widening experience through job rotation / secondment.
* A demonstration of suitable IT skills (to a high standard) including MS Office or equivalent, AutoCad and design/assessment software.
* Have a sound understanding of the policies and procedures of the Department.
* The ability to demonstrate and explain an in-depth knowledge of bridge engineering principles, design, techniques, standards and procedures on a range of small and medium sized projects, or limited number of complex projects.
* Take responsibility for health and safety for themselves, and in the workplace and related to the construction industry (e.g. CDM Regs).
* Ability to communicate effectively with group managers, team managers, team members (and mentors if appropriate) and more widely across the Department, Strategic Partnership and with the stakeholders, contractors and other consultees.
* Experience of working on site would be beneficial, as would experience of working in other areas of the Department/Strategic Partnership.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
Our work is serious, and serious fun. We create homes for penguins, help you get from A to B faster and safer, create inspiring places to live and work, and shape the skylines of our cities.
We value our people and our reputation. Having a diverse and robust workforce enables us to look for answers, not problems, and we pride ourselves on offering clients clever, imaginative, future-facing solutions. If you are interested in finding ways to help society thrive, at home and further afield, an exciting career could be waiting for you here.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.
Please note that WSP reserve the right to close this vacancy prior to the advertised closing date.