6 months ago
Job number: UK11462
Career area: Bid Management
Region/State: South East
Position type: Full Time
Job type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Bid Manager to join our Rail Work Winning team based in Redhill.
What you'll be doing
To lead, manage and co-ordinate all aspects of a bid ensuring that high quality, competitive proposals are delivered to the customer in a manner consistent with the Balfour Beatty Management System.
This will include:
* Establishing and maintaining positive and effective relationships with customers, partners and bid team
* Supporting management of the opportunity pipeline, in conjunction with the Bid Director
* Supporting business development in winning business by developing and managing capture plans.
* Capable of managing multi-disciplinary proposals from £5m - £50m
Work Winning Management:
* End to end management of specific tender opportunities.
* Manage Corporate governance process for opportunities.
* Provide forecast of likely mobilisation & delivery resource requirement associated with pipeline
* Achieving the target Win rate
* Ensure all opportunities have sufficient project resources assigned through the work winning lifecycle.
* Manage matrix bid teams to support best in class bid function.
* Development of the capture plan
* Management of the capture plan and capture activities in close collaboration with business development
* Develop the proposal strategy and proposal plan
* Identify the resource requirements
* Manage the team which has been assembled for the proposal
* Manage delivery of the proposal to time and budget
* Manage corporate governance process achieving approval for tender submission.
* Manage compliance with processes and ensure quality standards are maintained across the team(s), recommending improvements where necessary
* Coach and manage others to ensure adherence to the Balfour Beatty Values
* Manage, coach and develop matrix teams to deliver high performance
Work Winning Management:
* Understand the complete work winning lifecycle from opportunity identification to contract award
* Ensure that all interfaces including business development are in place and operating effectively to deliver winning outcomes.
* Manage Matrix teams and ensure adequate bid resource is identified for tenders.
* Assess resources needed for mobilisation and delivery
* Manage the complete work winning lifecycle from opportunity identification to contract award
* Write and maintain the capture plan
* Manage estimating and planning activities and hold appropriate reviews
* Work with the Delivery Units to develop the solution
* Organise and chair regular proposal team meetings
* Ensure that the proposal answers all the customer questions and instructions
* Support governance activities throughout the proposal period
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
* Previous experience of managing bids and working in a high value bidding environment or experience working on high value bids with demonstrable experience of capability to move into a high value bid management role.
* Understanding of all disciplines required for an infrastructure sector tender, commercial, technical, legal, financial, planning, estimating etc.
* Leadership and influencing skills
* Strong team planning and organisation skills
* Target focused, effective communicator both verbally and in writing
* Good knowledge of work winning best practice
* Experience with the principles of current public sector procurement;
* Bid writing and review experience
* Experience of managing capture and proposals for complex opportunities in rail infrastructure or related environments.
* Team Management of matrix proposals teams
* Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure. Customer centric in approach, with the ability to recognise potential opportunities in invitations to tender
* Experience of proposals/bidding in highly regulated environments
* Knowledge of engineering project delivery in rail infrastructure or related rail or infrastructure areas industries
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.