about 1 year ago
Title : Bid Manager
Requisition ID :2018-27757
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Warrington
Department / Discipline : Commercial / Contracts
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Do you enjoy being part of a creative, winning team? Enjoy directly contributing to a company’s success? Can you appreciate the bigger picture, whilst paying close attention to detail? Would you relish the chance to be part of a high performing bid team? In the fast paced and high pressure bid environment can you keep a cool head and maintain a sense of humour whilst delivering successful bids? If so, then we might be the perfect fit for each other.
Wood is recruiting a Bid Manager who will need to slot into an already high performing team of bid professionals. Being an integral part of the business capture lifecycle, as Bid Manager you will manage the bid process in order to provide customer focused winning proposals for engineering, consultancy and EPC/EPCM based tenders mainly in the UK but with the opportunity to also work on tenders for international customers.
The Bid Manager is the owner of the bid plan and is responsible for co-ordinating the team charged with delivering a winning proposal which aligns with the customer’s requirements. Keeping a laser like focus on the customer’s needs, you will ensure the win themes and bid strategy are fully conveyed within a tender return of the highest quality that stands out from the crowd, maximising the potential tender score having fully addressed the customer’s award criteria.
This role would suit both an established bid manager with several years bidding experience looking to take on a new challenge or bid professionals in the earlier stages of their career who are looking to take the next step into delivering larger more complex tenders.
* Delivering winning proposals to the required time, cost and quality
* Support and drive the opportunity capture phase contributing to the win planning process
* Bid leadership as the formal procurement phase approaches and during the pre-qualification, tender and post submission clarification phases
* Manage the critical early phase of customer needs interpretation and bid team formation
* Management of actions arising from all key bid meetings from kick off to the final clarifications
* Manage the bid through the corporate governance process
* Management of subcontractor, supplier, and Joint Venture partner inputs
* Management of day to day relationships with all internal and external stakeholders
* Ensure the winning price is developed at appropriate and clearly understood risk levels
* Management of any re-submission or clarification activities through to contract award
* Ensure a smooth handover to the operational team
* Management of post tender lessons learned sessions
Skills / Qualifications
* An excellent team player who is comfortable and effective at communicating with individuals from all levels and functional areas within the business and with external partners and customers
* Able to quickly mobilise and motivate strong bid teams
* Have the ability run innovative tender workshops that quickly gel teams together, get to the heart of the customer’s needs and the response requirements
* An eye for detail and ability to quickly identify and communicate the customer’s needs and key themes from their tender documentation
* Able to work collaboratively within Joint Venture bids
* Strong persuasive writing and English skills with the ability to coach authors to clearly present their tender responses
* Competence in Microsoft Office suite and Adobe Acrobat
* Experience of delivering and winning tenders (upwards of £1m in value)
* Experience of working within successful Bid teams on Engineering, EPC / EPCM or Consultancy opportunities
* Experience of developing tenders and proposals solutions that focus on meeting customer needs
* Have an understanding of the process required for detailed tender documentation preparation
* Have experience of bidding as joint ventures/partnerships
* Utility / Power / Energy / Nuclear experience
* Experience of bidding internationally
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.