about 1 month ago
Building the present, creating the future
BAM PPP is recruiting a Project Director to join the team. This role can be based at one of our existing UK & Ireland offices (near Glasgow and Solihull in the UK and in co Kildare in Ireland).
The Projects Director (PD) will lead and manage all aspects of PPP and other infrastructure investment projects, ensuring alignment with the risk allocation requirements and the legal and commercial strategy of BAM PPP. The projects will either be in public procurement or through other strategic investment development routes. Reporting to the Business Development Director of BAM PPP UK & Ireland, the PD will work with a core team including project finance and legal expertise. They will lead and guide teams to successfully create appropriate investment opportunities for BAM PPP.
We are looking for a high calibre, positive and passionate individual to join our team. The successful individual will play a key role in growing the investment business and will enjoy an exciting, stimulating variety of work across multiple sectors. They will be a self starter who brings excellent experience of forming and leading successful, motivated, high performing teams within the infrastructure industry.
The key activities and result areas will be as follows:
Communicate with team members, including relaying briefs, connecting daily tasks to larger goals, and providing context and support. Design a “win” strategy and monitor and adjust that strategy during the execution of the bid or transaction. Ensure the team remains focused and on track in regard to strategy whilst addressing any conflicts or bottlenecks. Create a vision around the project to provide team members with a sense of purpose and motivation. Foster a workplace atmosphere that helps bring out the best in the whole team.
2. External Stakeholder management
Build relationships with external stakeholders using stakeholder analysis. Plan, investigate and act upon stakeholder signals, formal as well as informal. Win the hearts and minds of the client/partners/funders to obtain a clear vision on the project and the expectations of the client.
3. Internal stakeholder management
Build successful teams that understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Define clear roles and responsibilities for the team. Lead the team using the BAM PPP values.
4. Input cost management
Collect relevant budget data, analyse and calculate items within budgets and draft budgets as well as define forecasts based on expected input cost levels. This includes Development costs, Construction costs / Operations and maintenance / lifecycle and SPV costs in order to enable financial models to be developed to demonstrate project viability. Identify and meet provided client affordability targets.
5. Proposal management
Manage the development of the project proposals to ensure that they satisfy all the client/partner requirements and fulfil the objectives of the win strategy and are submitted in a timely and complete manner.
Understand the scope and progress the selection and appointment of project adviser(s), co-ordinate involvement of project advisers, control external project costs and act as primary point of contact.
7. Financial Close
Co-ordinate final commercial, legal, financial and insurance aspects of the transaction to ensure the final investment, and where relevant supply chain approvals, of the project within the specified timetable.
8. Project handover
Ensure a full and comprehensive handover to the Operational Team for the construction phase.
9. Human Resource Management
Determine project staffing needs, initiate actions to ensure timely availability of people, resources and methods on the basis of the BAM PPP Strategy, and ensure a productive and motivated working environment within the Project team. Responsible for annual Perform and Develop process of allocated staff.
10. Health, Safety and Well-being
Ensure compliance with BAM PPP Health & Safety Policy. Set a personal example in health & safety, environmental and wellbeing matters by strong visible leadership, acting as a champion both within the company and the supply chain
Who are we looking for?
This is a key position in a leading European infrastructure investor with significant growth ambitions. For this position we are looking for an experienced and dynamic bid leader, who can demonstrate a successful and deep understanding of infrastructure investments, including PPPs, from securing new opportunities and closing deals
We welcome applications from candidates with a strong track record in one or more of the following specialisms:
• Energy transition/de-carbonisation (e.g. solar, district heating, renewables, storage, EV charging)
• Digital infrastructure and data centres
Education, skills and experience
• At least 12 years’ experience of originating PPP or investment projects
• Evidence of leading and managing the entire bid/origination process from the identification of new opportunities to closing the deal and handing over to the operations team
• Degree educated ideally in a relevant field (engineering/construction/surveying/finance etc) or with a relevant professional qualification or membership
• Evidence of a commitment to personal development and learning
• Demonstrable experience as a successful Project/Bid/Development/Investment Director managing, winning and closing, complex multidisciplinary infrastructure or PPP projects
• Demonstrable leadership qualities
• High levels of commercial and financial acumen. The role requires someone who has excellent numeracy and is comfortable working with spreadsheets and reviewing financial models
• Expert communication skills with a natural ability to build and maintain successful teams from individuals from varying backgrounds
• Experienced reporting and bid writing skills with the ability to convey complex information
• Team player who thrives under pressure and is able to work to deadlines
• Comprehensive knowledge of the contractual, legal and financial framework in the infrastructure investment/project finance sector
• Well-developed negotiating skills
• Innovative thinker and proactive manager of risk
• Self-starter with ability to multi-task and efficiently manage time and workload
• Fluent in English
Strong personal values that align with BAM PPP’s vision and values;
• Confidence - Poise, clear thinking under pressure, conviction in the course being set, and decisiveness that earns the respect and loyalty of others.
• Diligent – attention to detail in approach
• Passion - Approaches every task with enthusiasm.
• Fairness - Makes decisions consistent with clearly expressed standards of right and wrong.
• Optimism - creates a team environment that is positive and buoyant.
• Honesty - Truthful and openly self-critical with regard to acknowledging own errors.
• Flexible – in terms of travel and location
What’s in it for you?
At BAM PPP, we are extremely proud of our People and Culture. Our hard work, and fun together, has built a successful business which continues to grow. Our aim is to continue to build on this success by investing in our people, to encourage and support engagement and positive mental health and physical wellbeing. Our ambition is to have employees who are ‘Flourishing at Work’; who are inspired by our purpose, able to use and develop their skills and strengths, and who can see the value they contribute to the business.
A challenging and continuously changing environment in a forward thinking organisation. In addition to an attractive salary and benefits package, we support further personal growth and development supported by BAM Learning. Examples of BAM Learning are specific project management training or training via GoodHabitz. GoodHabitz is an online learning platform for personal growth and development with over 120 training options you can attend 100% digitally, where and when you like.
We are committed to developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customer base and the communities in which we operate, creating an environment which enables everyone to fulfil their potential.
Who are we?
BAM PPP is one of Europe’s leading operators in the delivery of public-private partnership projects. We employ over 100 people and have offices in Glasgow, Birmingham, Brussels, Bunnik, Dublin, Frankfurt, Cologne and London.
We have a strong track record in delivering successful projects across various sectors and in key European locations. Our operational concessions include 49 projects with a total capital value of €12.1bn throughout Belgium, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Australia.
In 2020 Dutch pension fund PGGM, one of Europe’s largest pension companies, acquired a 50% share in BAM PPP from Royal BAM Group. Under our new ownership structure BAM PPP has ambitious growth plans which includes targeting new markets (in Australia, North America and Scandinavia) establishing BAM PPP as a worldwide player in the global PPP market and diversifying into new sectors such as energy, water infrastructure and digital infrastructure.
BAM PPP has access to a wealth of international expertise, experience, and resources, underpinned by extensive local knowledge of the key PPP markets (education, general accommodation, health, justice, marine, rail, and roads) and provides the following services:
• Design, development, bid, and operational leadership
• Understanding and management of risk
• Sourcing, securing, and funding management
• Contract negotiation and commercial management