7 months ago
£Competitive plus benefits
25 May 2018
40 hours per week
Hatfield (Head Office)
In the Atmosphere stream, we create the E-Commerce and Fulfilment solutions that power the Ocado Smart Platform. From the secret sauce that drives our 35 million customer searches and product recommendations, to our market-leading delivery punctuality and order accuracy.
We use the best tools for the job, with teams using a wide range of technologies including Java, Scala, Akka, NodeJS, Docker, React, Redis, AWS, and many others. Our teams choose the development methodologies that suit them best, from Kanban and Scrum to TDD and Continuous Delivery.
We are looking for Software Engineers to join our cross-functional Agile teams as we continue the development of our technically challenging and an ever-evolving suite of apps. You’ll enjoy being part of the team if you like: learning fast through experimentation and self-motivation; being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better).
What we look for:
* You have a 2:1 or 1st class degree (or equivalent) in a numerate degree or relevant industry experience.
* Demonstrable OO programming ability in Java or another OO language.
* Our software engineering opportunities suit high achievers with analytical minds, who enjoy creative problem-solving and find satisfaction in seeing complex projects through from start-to-finish.
* As well as looking out for the best and brightest, we’re also looking for people who reflect our values – people who can learn fast through experimenting; who are autonomous through taking ownership and driving innovation; who are collaborative and work well in high-performing teams. We value trust, honesty, and craftsmanship.
* We’re all about innovation and refusing to accept the status quo, so if you’re keen to push the limits of your learning – and our technology – we want to hear from you!
* Find out more about Ocado Technology here.
What we can offer you:
This is a great opportunity for those who love building systems that solve tangible problems. You’ll be working with brilliant and experienced software engineers who love sharing their ways of working; you’ll be continuing on your journey towards becoming a master craftsperson and we’re committed to making it an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
The process will involve an initial online test, and if you pass that an assessment day will follow. This will include a technical test, a technical interview, and a paired-programming session. It’s not as scary as it sounds though! We’ve designed the process to be able to get to know you and to see what you’re capable of. You’ll also get lunch, and if you pass our morning session, a tour of our Hatfield CFC.
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary, benefits include pension scheme, share schemes, interest-free season ticket loan and, of course, a healthy 15% Ocado staff discount (and free delivery).
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.