9 months ago
ATA32 Principal Engineer (Hydraulic Systems Specialist)
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Airbus, the world’s leading Aircraft manufacturer has exciting new job opportunities to join its Engineering teams at Filton, Bristol.
Core activities include the design, engineering and support for Airbus wings, fuel systems and landing gear Integration. We develop our people to work on systems, structures and aerodynamics research, development and test facilities.
The engineering site at Filton is a vibrant and diverse place to work. Come and join our community which is developing the future of flight through our “Wing of the future” programme and researching the next big aviation concepts and subsequent technologies, within our new Airbus Wing Integration Centre.
A vacancy has arisen for an ATA32 Principal Engineer (Hydraulic Systems Specialist), to be based in Filton, reporting functionally and operationally to the Head of Landing Gear Engineering Excellence.
ATA32 is a unique set of systems, equipment and structure that consist of Physical and Functional Design elements. It is a critical system highly integrated into the aircraft and encapsulates both primary structure and complex systems in a challenging operating environment.
The role of the ATA32 Hydraulic Systems Specialist Principal Engineer is to manage requirements, develop new design solutions and ensure the continued airworthiness of the ATA32 products throughout the complete product lifecycle (from R&T to in-service). Working closely with Equipment and Extended Enterprise Suppliers and other areas of the business (e.g. Procurement, Program, Chief Engineers, Test, Operations and Customer Support) the ATA32 Hydraulic Systems Specialist Principal Engineer will be responsible for guiding / steering a team of ATA32 Mechanical and Mechatronics Development engineers for delivering tasks and projects that are safe, certifiable and integrated with the right quality, on time and within budget.
The successful candidate will be involved in leading Landing Gear hydraulic systems engineering activities during various aircraft development phases, covering all parts of the ATA32 component. The role holder will be working with ATA32 Mechanical and Mechatronics Development engineers and Level 1 signatories, along with interfacing with Landing Gear vendors to ensure the development of an integrated technical solution and development plan.
Tasks & accountabilities
* Technically leading engineering activities covering a broad variety of ATA32 Landing Gear Engineering activities with a specialism in Hydraulic Systems, delivering integrated technical solutions both autonomously and by guiding / steering multi-functional teams within the fast-moving and dynamic Landing Gear perimeter.
* Maintain & develop product knowledge across the entire ATA32 component/system perimeter including Landing Gear Hydro mechanical Design, Installation and Integration, presenting a unique opportunity to further develop an “expertise” in ATA32 Hydraulic Systems.
* Ensure operational team & vendors deliver solutions right first time meeting safety, performance and reliability requirements
* Provide technical and product leadership to project / task leaders. Mentor, coach and develop others in EL, act as a role model for ATA32 Engineers, Senior and Principal Engineers.
* Challenge the requirements and ways of working by the Operational team for optimised output
* Ensure all engineering activities are in line with cascaded ATA32 requirements and verified through the V&V plan to demonstrate compliance with applicable airworthiness regulations, design requirements and reliability requirements.
* Ensure from your role as a specialist that the programme deployed teams are able to adhere to budget and schedule for each task providing support to the management and mitigation of risks/opportunities and communication in a timely manner
* The candidate is expected to gain and utilize a L1 technical signature to enable the delivery of key documentation.
* Develop strategies that protect the long-term position of Airbus
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
* Technical management of Suppliers / Risk Sharing Partners
* Good knowledge of and experience of working to ARP4754 or equivalent
* Systems test requirements
* Commercial aircraft certification processes
* Problem solving
In addition, the successful candidate will also have significant experience in the following areas:
* Design, integration, development and certification of Hydro-Mechanical Systems including ATA32 hydraulic systems
* Hydraulic power generation systems
* Hydraulic power distribution systems including installation/qualification of tubing, hoses, etc.
* Hydraulic equipment design
* Sealing technologies and standards
* SAE hydraulic standards, recommended practices, etc.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
Posting date: 24.07.2018
Closing date: 24.08.2018
o Excellent competitive salary with yearly reviews
o Total remuneration package made up of Basic Salary, Performance Bonus & Success Sharing
o 25 days holiday (Ability to buy 35 additional hours) plus bank holidays
o Pension Scheme Defined contribution pension scheme with scale matching contribution
o Flexible Benefits based on grade – Multiple options including health care and car options
o Flexible working hours & practices (including Friday half-day)
o Onsite social clubs
o Strong career development opportunities (learning path, opportunities to move internally, UK wide and internationally)