about 1 year ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
****Please note that we have positions available in our Bristol and Malvern sites at various grades depending on experience*****
QinetiQ provides Cyber Information & Training (CIT) security solutions and services to help customers achieve superior, mission-critical levels of security by managing risk and boosting resilience. We support our customers by enhancing national security systems, protecting critical infrastructures and preventing attacks, which cover people, processes and technology. This includes the ability to test perimeters and subject systems to determined penetration testing, as well as monitoring, detection, analysis and incident response to advanced cyber-attacks.
QinetiQ's Systems Engineers are renowned for providing high quality, independent technical advice to a wide range of customers, in support of their major acquisition programmes, and for developing our own range of world-leading products. We are looking for people to join our growing team of Systems Engineers who are interested in applying and developing their technical expertise, across a number of domains, both military and commercial.
Opportunities to work in the following Domains and Activities:
• CIT Systems (particularly in the military land environment)
• Electronic Warfare, Research & Innovation
• Secured Navigation (particularly Global Navigation Satellite Systems - GNSS)
• Application of Systems Engineering principles across the lifecycle
• Product Development (full lifecycle)
• Leading engagement with customers, developing new propositions & service delivery
Key accountabilities of suitable candidates (the balance between these will be project-dependent):
• Working as part of a team supporting Systems Engineering projects in a variety of domains, for internal and external customers as guided and mentored by more senior Systems Engineers.
• Engaging with external stakeholder communities, gathering material and understanding their requirements
• Supporting and undertaking the technical design as guided by more senior Systems Engineers
• Contributing to technical decision making on projects
• Collaborating with other members of project teams in support of project goals
• Anticipating and identifying potential issues such as delivery problems, lack of input information etc.
• Developing to take on leadership of activities, tasks and teams
• Information management & Reporting customer business opportunities
Particular skills/experience required: A mix of some or all of:
• Understanding and applying the Systems Engineering approach across the lifecycle (including Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Agile)
• Model Based Systems Engineering.
• Architectural Framework (e.g. MODAF, TOGAF) experience.
• Flexibility to travel as required to support project activities.
• Identifying and responding to customer needs
• Developing Architectures, Product design and development & Through-life Design & Management
• Business analysis and consultancy
• Flexibility of approach, ability to innovate
• Planning for trials, test and/or acceptance
• Developing outputs for customers (reports, products, services)
• Potentially working on several tasks simultaneously & Creating and managing own work
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Has analytical and logical thinking skills.
• Able to work and produce consistent results with minimal supervision.
• Good questioning, listening, influencing and general interpersonal skills.
• Well-developed oral, written communication and presentation skills.
• Can adapt and work flexibly & Content to lead some tasks and be a team member on others.
• Content to work on several projects simultaneously
• Applying the emotional intelligence necessary to work successfully with diverse stakeholder groups.
• Identifying and delivering propositions, and solutions to customers’ real, unstated needs as well as those directly expressed.
• Moving at times from high uncertainty towards a clear problem definition.
• Differentiating problem definition from solution design.
• Rapidly assimilating information and gaining a good understanding of the problems and issues associated with new tasks.
• Thriving in a varied, complex, and frequently changing work environment, often with demanding timescales.
Experience and qualification:
• Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering or technical discipline, or proven experience working in an equivalent engineering role. (Typ. Aerospace / Mechanical / Electronics / Systems Engineering, Physics).
• Professional qualification, or working towards one.