12 months ago
Associate / Principal M&E Design Engineer – Tunnels, London
Since the 1930's COWI has pushed the boundaries of bridge, tunnel and marine design through our involvement in some of the world's largest, most iconic and complex projects.
With a full set of world-class competencies within tunnelling and infrastructure engineering, combined with local presence and experience, our talented and dedicated professionals are ready to take on the most complex projects anywhere in the world – no matter how large or small.
In the UK, COWI UK's specialist tunnelling business have in-depth experience in civil, structural, geotechnical engineering and M&E including the development of underground space and infrastructure. We offer a dynamic work environment where multi-cultural teams from all over the world strive for the best results; we are recognised as a centre of excellence for quality, innovation and are the client’s first choice. Our philosophy of getting it ‘right first time’ in tandem with producing alternative designs to ensure safe, economic and sustainable solutions has firmly established COWI as a leader in its field.
This is a wonderful opportunity for a career and business minded M&E professional to join our specialist tunnelling and underground structures team and build a self-sustaining, profitable M&E business within the tunnelling sector.
Continued expansion of our UK tunnelling business has seen the need for our M&E expertise grow and we are now seeking to recruit an experienced, qualified and driven Associate / Principal Engineer who is capable of spearheading the division, mentoring and developing a team of engineers and introducing our services and capabilities to new and existing clients.
Requirements: knowledge, skills and experience required:
* You will hold a master's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering and be a Chartered Engineer (CEng)
* You will have experience of design/specification of ventilation systems in highway, rail or utility tunnels
* You will have gained some experience in specifications of tunnel lighting systems, including highways tunnels
* Ideally you will possess some experience in specifications of control system for transportation tunnels
* You will have experience of Fire and Life Safety Systems for Highways Tunnels
* Experience in the design of LV electrical systems, ICA design, pumping systems design or knowledge of M&E temporary works designs for tunnelling systems would be a distinct advantage
* You will possess excellent English communication skills, both verbally and in writing
* You will be a team player with the ability to interact with colleagues across the globe
* You will have previous experience in the control, supervision, mentoring and development of less experienced engineers
* You will be adept in business development
Reporting to the Director, you will be accountable for managing and spearheading our M&E business whilst also producing / checking designs and calculations for a variety of mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) systems. You will be responsible for developing business with new and existing clients and other stakeholders, recruiting, mentoring / developing less experienced engineers, liaising and working with project teams and colleagues across the globe and ensuring that the business unit is integrated and profitable.
Areas of activity will include a wide range of MEP systems, electromechanical, switchboards, LV distribution, lighting, UPS's, earthing and bonding, control systems, ventilation and communication systems for tunnel projects.
Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Provide design and technical leadership to projects
* Assisting in the development of conceptual design and producing engineering designs and details in accordance with project requirements
* Develops and implements design best practices in areas of expertise, in addition, ensures conformance with all applicable codes, standards, and client requirements
* Preparation / checking of calculations and drawings, writing reports
* Leading / assisting with tenders and bids
* Inspection and documentation of electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems
* Planning, resource allocation, scheduling, and budgeting of projects
* Business development and building relationships with clients and other stakeholders
* Mentoring and developing less experienced team members to allow them to achieve their full potential
Remuneration & Benefits:
COWI UK Limited is an equal opportunities employer and believe in rewarding our staff for their commitment and hard work. You will therefore receive a basic salary that will match your skills and experience, coupled with:
28 days holiday plus bank and public holidays
Private health care scheme
Life assurance (4 x salary)
Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
Cycle to work scheme
Flexible working arrangements (details available on request)
Long service award of extra pension contributions paid for by the Company and one extra holiday day after 5 years of service
Employee ownership through COWI share programme
How to Apply:
Applying could not be easier, just click the link and follow the simple steps to upload your CV