5 months ago
Associate - Placemaking (BRI0000BX)
: United Kingdom-Bristol-Bristol
: Urban Designer
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
This is an opportunity for an Associate (Urban Design Consultant) to join our successful and growing Placemaking team in the West (Bristol, Winchester, Cardiff & Belfast), based in our Bristol office.
Our Placemaking team delivers urban design, landscape design and landscape planning services to public and private sector clients. You will lead selected masterplanning, urban design and placemaking projects from concept to delivery and will report to the Associate Director for Placemaking. This includes:
• Working across a variety of projects including major urban regeneration, housing and infrastructure projects;
• Being part of a wider consulting team, working in a truly integrated and multi-disciplinary way across South West England, Wales and Northern Ireland, collaborating with our colleagues across the UK and internationally;
• Based in Arup’s Bristol, with an expectation of a high level of mobility across the West region (Cardiff, Belfast and Winchester) and throughout the UK as projects require, working alongside the Arup consulting, infrastructure or buildings teams in these locations;
• Providing innovative solutions to complex major project delivery;
• Preparing of bids, ensuring timely agreement of the win strategy, design concept, commercial review and final bid documentation review are completed with the practice leaders and others as appropriate;
• Leading an Arup project team setting up regular project and design team meetings and providing appropriate timescales and reference material to ensure the team is clear on their direction and that you can deliver outputs on time and within budget;
• Developing and presenting complex design concepts and narratives in a concise and compelling way, both verbally and through drawn image in reports and presentations;
• Agreeing storyboards for reports and presentations with practice leadership to ensure project narrative is clear and compelling;
• Ensuring that project fee, programme and resources are reviewed post-win and that Arup’s management systems are set up correctly and completed as required;
• Leading the project management of the programme ensuring key meetings, workshops, reviews are set up and that the correct attendees are available; and
• Organising design reviews with the Practice leadership on a regular basis including at inception and ahead of key deadlines to allow for timely input.
Broader practice management responsibilities include:
• Developing new and existing client relationships;
• Contributing to the placemaking debate within West Consulting through the use of clear and compelling engagement with design issues and appropriate use of precedent;
• Mentoring one or two junior colleagues in the practice across both disciplines (urban design and landscape architecture);
• Attending and presenting at design Charettes;
• Contributing to internal and external profile raising of the Placemaking offer through conferences, writing articles or an Arup thought piece, a successful awards submission or organising an event; and
• Liaising with other Arup regional offices on bids and project opportunities or sharing knowledge and insight.
Requirements and skills
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• Degree in architecture (RIBA Part 1)a post graduate diploma or MA in Architecture or Urban Design;
• Chartered architect (RIBA/ArB) or equivalent;
• Significant masterplanning and urban design consultancy experience across multi-disciplinary projects in urban centres and urban expansion areas;
• Ability to generate and communicate compelling design concepts at the urban scale;
• Excellent communication skills and experience in addressing a range of audiences – public, political and technical;
• Good knowledge and capability in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino, SketchUP, free hand sketching and diagrams;
• Demonstrable capacity to develop and win new business (with particular emphasis on higher fee value projects) to include depth of knowledge in the local and national market in urban design/masterplanning;
• Business strategy formation including work planning over the medium term (2 years plus);
• Experienced as a project team leader;
• Leadership of a team including the development of individual’s professional capability and experience as well as managing performance including leading on the improvement of QA procedures and quality of outputs;
• Substantial and evidenced experience of large scale masterplanning, urban design guidance, managing the preparation of urban design outputs from strategic conceptual thinking to completed final documents and liaising with clients / designers;
• Good track record of working with designers on large masterplanning infrastructure or regeneration projects, particularly within the transport, housing and retail sectors;
• Proven capacity to network effectively within organisations and across technical fora with demonstrable profile in area of business within the West region;
• Multi-disciplinary working with other groups (e.g. Town Planning, Environment, Transport and Project Management);
• Proven capacity for business development: promotion, marketing and bid preparation;
• Attending and leading client meetings with a high degree of autonomy;
• Understanding of UK planning process, including direct experience of working on projects where consent is secured through the Planning Act 2008;
• Capable of managing a challenging and varying workload which can change at short notice;
• Financial accountability for projects and delivery within budget and programme plus wider contribution to the financial performance of West Consulting;
• Confident presenting to clients and key stakeholders and promoting a client’s interests through the use of a wide range of presentation techniques;
• Capable of explaining complex processes and highly technical subject matters in a way that is understandable – using plain English;
• Capable of identifying issues or risks that affect the delivery of a project – identify measures to address the issue/ risk and agree with the team leader how these measures will be implemented; and
• Capable of travelling across the West region, and if necessary to other UK regions, to attend meetings, site visits and events.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
• International experience including large scale masterplanning of complex sites;
• Grasshopper capabilities;
• Geospatial and GIS knowledge;
• BREEAM (buildings and communities) knowledge; and
• Knowledge of UK local government and devolved government processes and protocols.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent and specific term staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance. We are committed to equal opportunities.
Closing date for applications - 16th April