8 months ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
Our Development Planning team specialises in providing sustainable development solutions from planning, through to approvals. We are seeking to recruit an Associate Director to join our team in Cambridge. This role will report directly to one of our lead private sector Directors covering our central region across the East of England, Midlands and parts of the South East. There are a range of exciting opportunities for growth in the region, particularly across the Oxford to Cambridge Arc.
The Development Planning team specialises in providing high level advice to mainly private sector clients on the transport elements of planning applications. The development planning work involves providing specialist advice to private sector and some local authority clients on access, transportation and infrastructure issues and supporting development proposals through the planning process. It works closely our Infrastructure Team, Environmental team and our Property team. The team also works closely with other WSP disciplines on high profile major multi-disciplinary development projects.
All staff are encouraged and assisted to progress their training towards professional qualifications, with internal and external training opportunities provided.
A typical week would include:
* Your key role will be to lead the process and deliverables towards securing planning applications for a wide range of sizes of projects. You can expect to be leading on a number of projects/client accounts at any given time. These can vary in both scale and nature, making the workload extremely interesting. Projects range from minor extensions of community facilities through to new settlements/towns, redevelopment of town centres and major business parks.
* Leading people and teams in managing the work to produce Transport Assessments and other general advice on schemes. Excellent client relationship skills, project management and business development will be essential. Financial management will be required on individual projects to ensure efficient use of resources and up to date billing. Producing fee proposals and undertaking business development will be a key part of the role. The position reports to a Director. The postholder will also be responsible for people within the team, including their development and project outputs.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Key to the role will be client relationships and business development leading to work winning and effective project delivery. You will be responsible for your own clients and developing new clients as part of an important contribution to the financial performance of the business.
* You will have extensive experience of transport planning at a senior level. You will be well versed in the preparation of quality Transport Assessments, Transport Strategies and supporting information. Skills and experience in a range of transport and development related work types is essential. You will have knowledge of areas such as public transport and policies at local, regional and national level. Experience of Inquiry procedures would also be useful. The ability to think at both strategic and detailed levels is required. Knowledge of wider engineering disciplines will also be useful.
* You will have knowledge of preliminary highway design, junction design and analysis, traffic software, Modelling, traffic management techniques and Highways Agency and Local Authority design guidance so as to enable effective leading of teams and ensuring robust and quality works is provided that meets WSPs focus on technical excellence. Effective communication and consultation skills with stakeholders is essential.
* You will need to have good written and spoken communication skills and be able to work as part of a team or individually. It will be essential to be able to lead other team members to deliver to agreed timescales. An enthusiasm for and genuine interest in Transport Planning and Engineering is essential.
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.