5 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
A typical week would include:
* Technical management and delivery of multiple projects across the geotechnical division, making use of efficient working practices to provide industry leading best value services to our clients. This is to provide technical advice that builds relationships and raises the profile of the geotechnical division and WSP. Where projects require it, to provide proactive analysis, specialist advice and support to resolve technical challenges and enhance technical performance. Able to act as an Expert Witness.
* To manage the technical excellence of the geotechnical division by managing quality in outputs. This includes motivating, mentoring, coaching and development of supporting professional staff. Leading and active contribution to technical excellence initiatives across the geotechnical division. Development of associated business processes and assisting with the management of change across the wider geotechnical division. Technical cascade via local team meetings and web share conferencing.
* Monitor, measure and report on project work, operational issues, opportunities and development plans and achievements providing feedback to team leaders.
* Working in accordance with accepted methods and legislation (including CDM) and operate in accordance with WSP’s corporate health and safety, environment and quality (SHEQ) standards. Leading on SHEQ initiatives across the geotechnical division.
* Undertake own continuing professional development and showing leadership of others across the geotechnical division to maintain and build professional capability. Also representing the geotechnical team and WSP at conferences, seminars technical forums and in professional associations.
* To assist in marketing, bidding, winning and planning of new work. This will include the co-ordination of geotechnical bids and proposals with the pursuit of new business opportunities for the local geotechnical teams and across the geotechnical division, plus the wider WSP. This is to include liaison with potential and existing clients both internally and externally, making clients aware of the range of services provided across WSP. Contribution to business development in line with the business plan, both for the geotechnical division and wider business.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Essential: 1st degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Geotechnics, Engineering Geology or Geology; Full professional membership / chartership; Full UK driving licence
* Desirable: Masters degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Geotechnics or Engineering Geology or equivalent demonstrable experience; Hold significant role in relevant professional body
* Expert knowledge of geotechnical engineering, and/or or specific specialism within geotechnics, with an expert understanding of the underlying principles of soil/rock mechanics, and substantial project management experience of large and complex projects.
* Significant consultancy experience across a range of business sectors with demonstrably excellent commercial awareness and relationships with clients and contractors. In depth knowledge of contractual risks in relation to geotechnical work and civil engineering schemes.
* Proven track record in the senior management and delivery of geotechnical projects, including preparing reports to a high technical level on large and complex schemes. Ability to guide on client requirements and provision of strategic advice on contract specifications. Expert understanding of project risks and change management.
* Excellent report-writing and client liaison skills and ability to provide clear guidance to others. Extensive expertise in managing: geotechnical desk studies; complex and large Ground Investigations (GIs); reviewing Ground Investigation Reports and Geotechnical Design Reports in accordance with Eurocode 7: Part 1.
* Demonstrable expertise of leading and managing geotechnical design teams across offices within a multi-disciplinary environment with a full understanding of design submission documentation and processes. Up-to-date knowledge of relevant UK legislation relevant to the profession and sector.
* Expert knowledge of Eurocode 7 and UK annex design codes, ground investigation and construction contracts and specification.
* Proven ability to interrogate a wide range of geotechnical software for the design of civil engineering projects including deep and shallow foundations (incl pile group analysis), embedded and gravity retaining walls, earthworks/slope stability and reinforced earthworks. Ability to direct others for the appropriate use of geotechnical design software. Familiar with the capabilities of geotechnical software for the management, review and presentation of ground investigation and geotechnical data.
* Has expertise to check, review and critically evaluate complex work done by others, including interaction with other disciplines, be it drawings, calculations or reports and a proven significant experience of doing so.
* Experience of writing and presenting geotechnical papers and publications.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.