about 1 month ago
Associate Director / Principal Consultant - Regulation
Requisition ID :2021-88437
Work Location :GB-Berkshire-Reading
Additional Work Locations
GB-London | GB-Cheshire-Knutsford | GB-Tyne and Wear-Newcastle upon Tyne | GB-Avon-Bristol | GB-Warwickshire-Leamington Spa | GB-West Midlands-Birmingham | GB-Lanarkshire-Glasgow | GB-Yorkshire-Leeds
Department / Discipline : Environmental
Additional Work Location : GB-London
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is looking to recruit an Associate Director / Principal Consultant, who is an experienced nuclear environmental specialist, to join our Regulation team. To support the strategy in this area and the expected developments in the industry, the ideal candidate will be currently working as an experienced professional in the nuclear sector with a track record relating to radioactive substances regulation and associated specialist technical work.
You would have the opportunity to take a key technical role in the delivery of our portfolio of environmental regulation services in the nuclear sector and drive aspects of growth of our nuclear sector business across the UK and abroad.
Our regulation team, as part of a broad technical environmental team, has a long track record of exciting roles supporting all aspects of environmental regulation with high profile clients. We are currently working on projects with clients leading on nuclear new build, operations and decommissioning in the UK, and internationally. There will also be opportunities to support other teams on environment and sustainability related projects.
Wood is a world leading engineering and consultancy company across energy and the built environment. With a major role to play in the energy transition, clean energy, decarbonisation and the hydrogen economy, we are a global community unlocking the world’s big challenges for a cleaner, fairer, healthier tomorrow.
Wood is committed to continued development and you will have excellent opportunities to progress through personal development and successful delivery of projects . With us, you’ll be challenged, you’ll be encouraged to excel, you’ll be given the opportunity to build a rewarding career and you’ll be proud to be part of the Wood team.
The role can be based in any of our UK office locations ( London, Glasgow, Reading, Bristol, Leamington, Leeds, Birmingham, Shrewsbury, Knutsford and Newcastle) and for the right candidate the location of this role can be flexible with the option to mix home and office working subject to the requirements of the work.
Your role will involve securing and delivering environmental permitting, compliance and regulatory projects within a selection of the following fields: radioactive waste management, radiological impact assessment, decommissioning, design advice, environmental optimisation, permit applications, risk assessment, compliance and management arrangements support, supporting regulatory relationships, strategy and policy development. You will provide technical leadership within your area of expertise and manage a portfolio of projects.
You will manage and support both large and small consultancy projects and proposals, many of which are multi-disciplinary. You will have the opportunity to lead and support client relationships and projects, preparing proposals, negotiating with clients, managing projects and subcontractors, assessment, provision of advice and delivery of technical reports in line with client and regulatory requirements.
You will have opportunities to guide, mentor and manage project teams and team members.
Skills / Qualifications
* Degree in Science or Engineering
* Solid understanding of the environmental issues facing nuclear sector companies, primarily around radioactive substances regulation
* Solid understanding of relevant legislation, regulations and guidance and their interpretation
* Advanced technical skills in aspects of nuclear environmental regulation, permitting and compliance
* Confident verbal and written communicator with experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams
* You will have an awareness of business and project management systems and have experience of managing projects to time, cost and quality
* You will be self-motivated, organised and thorough and be able to demonstrate application of initiatives to deliver a task or project to high standards
* Postgraduate qualification in environmental science, technology, engineering or policy
* Post-graduate experience of working at nuclear sites, in a consultancy capacity, and /or experience as a regulator
* Experience in the business development and client management or equivalent relationship management
* Experience in preparation of proposals and costing work
* Full UK driving licence
* Ability to hold security clearance at SC level
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.