about 1 year ago
Exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Civil Engineer to join the London Transport Infrastructure Team.
Responsible for the commercial performance and professional output of a profit centre. The position has a dual purpose depending on its short to medium term and longer-term objections.
In the short to medium term, the primary purpose is to optimise the sales revenue and profit contribution of the profit centre.
The longer-term objective is to identify, initiate and implement actions which will grow the profit centre in size.
The role has six broad functions:
* Effective Business Management
* Client Management and Sales Development
* Good People Management
* Effective Project Management
* Quality Compliance
As an Associate Director reporting to the Director of Infrastructure you will be responsible for assisting in leading the civil/highway engineering design team based in the London office.
You will have reporting to you a team of Projects Manager(s), Senior Engineers and Engineers and will be responsible for their appraisal and development. You will also be responsible for the appraisal, development and training of assigned Graduate Engineers and Technicians who may also work for other teams on operational projects.
The position requires a dynamic and flexible approach and you will be expected to propose and implement actions designed to help the company achieve its mission. As such you will work out your own balance of time, split between business development, project work, client liaison and management.
Key Responsibilities Key Results Area
Effective Business Management
* Developing strategies and plans to grow the turnover and profitability of his profit centre.
* Implementing agreed plans effectively to achieve organic growth in changing circumstances.
* Monitoring market trends, client needs and emerging business development opportunities and ensuring that the group is appropriately resourced and organised to meet such challenges; liaising with the Director of Infrastructure as necessary.
* Contributing ideas and suggestions to the Board of Directors designed to improve outputs, processes and policies.
* Managing fee sales, in relation to the resources used, to achieve the Turnover and Gross Contribution targets set out in the annual budget.
* Estimating anticipated demand and in conjunction with Directors ensuring that resources of the appropriate quality and quantity are always available.
* Preparing draft budgets and revised estimates which quantify anticipated sales and resource utilisation.
* Monitoring sales, WIP, billing and client payments and taking/ensuring action where necessary to achieve agreed performance standards or targets.
* Reviewing and interpreting actual performance against plans and recommending strategies and tactics to improve performance.
* Liaising with Commercial Managers and fellow profit centre managers to implement agreed plans, develop alternative proposals and improve processes.
Client Management and Sales Development
* Winning new clients. Working in conjunction with the Director of Infrastructure to attract new clients to WYG. Sharing leads than can be better progressed by colleagues.
* Acting as Client Director for market sectors or client groupings which require a unified marketing approach.
* Contributing to the wider promotion of WYG through presentations and attendance at appropriate events.
* Through effective client management and new business initiatives meeting the annual sales target.
* Creating Client Plans specifying results to be achieved and actions to be taken; monitoring same to achieve results..
* Managing the pricing, cost recovery and service variables to enhance client perceptions that WYG is providing good value for money while at the same time ensuring project profitability.
* Producing winning proposals and fee estimates for new work, bringing in Senior Management or Marketing Manager to assist as necessary.
* Nurturing and strengthening client relationships. Key results in this category will fall into 3 broad areas as follows:
* Understanding each client’s business and planning ambitions together with the personal objectives and concerns of senior staff, and demonstrating how these can be achieved.
* Identifying and meeting clients’ expectations and planning how to improve their perceptions of the quality of service and professional output provided by WYG.
* Building strong personal relationships with decision makers within client companies; monitoring arrivals and departures in order to maintain contact or provide introductions to colleagues.
Good People Management
* Provides leadership and motivational input into team's activities, endeavouring at all times to maintain morale and promote team spirit.
* Leads by example; promotes an open, sharing culture and 'can-do' attitude amongst group members.
* Ensuring that team members are aware of, have a good understanding of and are focused on achieving company objectives and priorities.
* Selecting good staff according to the team's needs and inducting them effectively.Setting Performance Objectives and undertaking appraisals in accordance with company procedures.
* Identifying training needs and methods; mentoring staff and leading training sessions.
* Encouraging team members to acquire new skills and competencies; assigning them tasks which develop their abilities and prepare them for future promotion.
* Acts as Delegated Engineers for I.C.E. or other approved training schemes and encourages staff to acquire professional qualifications.
* Contributes to identifying company training needs to ensure WYG practices best professional standards.
Effective Project Management
* Ensures use of best Project Planning/Monitoring practices and undertakes regular Project Reviews to optimise client communication and satisfaction.
* Scoping projects to meet clients' needs and to optimise the range and depth of services provided by WYG and the fee income thereby generated.
* Estimating and planning the resources needed to achieve the performance criteria agreed with clients to optimum effect; preparing Project Plans (PPs) and SLAs in all instances
* Ensuring that the right resource is used to maintain quality standards and to optimise effectiveness and efficiency.
* Reviewing actual performance against the plan to seek better ways of meeting client objectives and progressing future projects more effectively; using the Project Verification and Project Close procedures for this purpose.
* Keeping the client informed of progress regarding deviations to timescales and costs and then billing effectively.
* Ensuring day to day management of individual projects; this activity may be delegated to a Senior Engineer/Engineer although the Associate will remain responsible for delivery against the PP/SLA.
* Maintaining contact with the appointed professional team keeping all informed of progress and issues
* Ensures team's compliance with QA Procedures, reviewing non-compliances and liaising with Quality Manager as appropriate.
* Promotes compliance with WYG Method/Best Practice Guidelines.
* Establishes and reviews client and project performance standards via SLA's/PP's.Acts as Project Manager for all the team's projects/commissions as defined by QA Manual.
* Reviews outputs and seeks ways to improve; contributing ideas to Quality
WYG is an award-winning professional services firm operating from more than 50 locations across the UK, Europe, Africa, and Asia. We are driven by client service and underpinned by technical excellence. We help our clients create value, protect value, and manage risk. We are the partner of choice for organisations operating in complex or challenging environments.
We serve our clients through three interconnected business streams:
* WYG Advisory is a proactive management consultancy designed to help identify opportunities for our clients, support their decision-making processes and deliver effective programmes.
* WYG Consulting assembles specialist teams to offer high value services to the markets in which we operate.
* WYG International Development works to optimise the value and impact of donor funded projects in collaboration with our partners and other stakeholders. It aims to improve socio-economic stability, enhance infrastructure and unlock the potential for sustainable development.
WYG PLC’s shares are traded on AIM, a market operated by the London Stock Exchange.