9 months ago
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Assistant Roads Engineers in our Edinburgh office, to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary roads projects across the UK.
You will be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities and the construction industry. Major clients include Transport Scotland, Local Authorities and design and build contractors. You will also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you’ll have a background in design and delivery of a range of roads schemes. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
We are looking for someone who enjoys an engineering challenge and finding the solution, and is prepared to roll up their sleeves, to ensure our teams always deliver great things. You will be supported to develop yourself and to carry out work on your own, and to ensure we go the extra mile, to exceed client needs. We expect you to:-
• Be an excellent communicator with confidence to work on your own initiative or as part of a team
• Use your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options
• Undertake designs and the production and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications
• Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards
• Develop staff and yourself to work hard toward professional qualification under formal training agreements
• Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home on occasions
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent
• Working towards Incorporated or Chartered status with the ICE, CIHT
• A good track record in civil engineering design
• A thorough understanding of relevant road standards including: DMRB, British and European standards
• Good written standard of English
• Good oral communication abilities
• Strong interpersonal and team working skills
As an Assistant Engineer, you will be responsible for the delivery of design works, including but not limited to:
• Preparing scheme drawings, from feasibility design through to detailed design
• Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents
• Production of drawings in collaboration with Engineering Technicians
• Utilising 3-D design packages, ideally including Bentley MX / Open Roads, AutoDesk Civils 3D and Microdrainage (or similar)
• Preparing works packages - bill of quantities, specifications and construction drawings
• Assisting with the resolution of engineering problems
• Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets
• Site supervision of road improvement schemes
• Mentoring and supporting the development of the team
• Keeping up-to-date with current methods and design guidelines
• Compliance with Quality, Safety, Environment and managerial procedures
• Supporting more experienced Engineers in designing road schemes for the public sector
• Support to senior staff in co-ordination of tenders and projects for clients
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days’ additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.