6 months ago
Since 1930, COWI has pushed the boundaries of design through our involvement on major infrastructure projects worldwide. As part of COWI's Bridge, Tunnel and Marine Structures (BTM) business line, we manage our projects from offices located in the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Middle East, India, SE Asia and North America.
With a full set of world-class competencies within tunnelling and infrastructure engineering, combined with local presence and experience, our talented and dedicated professionals are ready to take on the most complex projects anywhere in the world – no matter how large or small.
In the UK, COWI UK's specialist tunnelling business have in-depth experience in civil, structural, geotechnical engineering and M&E including the development of underground space and infrastructure. We offer a dynamic work environment where multi-cultural teams from all over the world strive for the best results; we are recognised as a centre of excellence for quality, innovation and are the client’s first choice. Our philosophy of getting it ‘right first time’ in tandem with producing alternative designs to ensure safe, economic and sustainable solutions has firmly established COWI as a leader in its field.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work closely with the Regional Director in order to oversee, input and manage technical delivery and team development within Scotland. This senior role reports directly to the Regional Director and UK Senior Management Team who strive to develop, expand and promote the business via strategic business development, and investment into staff and research to ensure continued engineering excellence and innovation.
This role would suit a chartered civil or structural engineer from either a consulting or contracting background who is looking to further develop both their technical and engineering management skills. Whilst working closely with a team of almost 60 staff, the role requires a strong focus on leadership skills and the ability to develop excellent working relationships with staff and clients. Experience of client, contract and financial management is therefore essential.
The role provides the opportunity to continue to advance technical engineering skills, whilst contributing to the management and growth of the Scottish office.
Requirements: knowledge, skills and experience required:
* Bachelor's or Master's in Civil / Structural Engineering
* Chartered Status (or demonstrable precedent experience in lieu of)
* Must have relevant design experience in a civil engineering, consulting or contracting environment
* Significant Project and Team Management experience, including resource level management
* Previous Line Management and team development experience
* Solid technical skills appropriate to the discipline
* Sound understanding of CDM Regulations, Safety and Risk Assessment processes
* Be familiar with either UK standards or equivalent European or Euro Codes
* Must have excellent verbal and written English and communication skills
* Experience of Business Development, Bids, Tender and pre-contract management
* Experience of financial management and reporting
* Computer literate
* Willingness to travel when required
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Contribute to the management of engineers, geologists, technicians and administrative staff.
* Assist the Regional Director with the development of pre-qualification documents, tenders, contract reviews and bid support.
* Assist the Regional Director in the preparation of financial forecasting reports and additional information for submittal to the Head of Finance and the Board as required.
* Oversee Key Account Managers in relation to business development.
* Contribute to work winning to ensure continued turnover for the office.
* Regular communication with Project Managers to ascertain current status on all projects, whilst ensuring project controls are in place to meet programme and financial criteria.
* Manage, oversee and coordinate distribution of internal workflow with COWI offices to ensure quality and resource efficiencies.
* Work closely with Safety and Quality Managers to support the implementation of current systems.
* Liaise with line managers to assist in team development and implement action plans.
* Provide technical design reviews to ensure that projects are delivered in accordance with the current Standards and Codes of Practice.
Remuneration & Benefits
COWI UK Limited is an equal opportunities employer and believe in rewarding our staff for their commitment and hard work. You will therefore receive a basic salary that will match your skills and experience, coupled with:
28 days holiday plus bank and public holidays
Private health care scheme
Life assurance (4 x salary)
Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
Cycle to work scheme
Flexible working arrangements (details available on request)
Long service awards including: extra pension contributions paid for by the Company and extra annual leave
Employee ownership through COWI share programme
How to Apply:
Applying could not be easier, please click the link and follow the simple steps to upload your CV and covering letter and commence what could be the next and most fulfilling chapter in your career to date.