29 days ago
Requisition ID: 228240
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Today, our colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
Crossrail PDP Project
Crossrail is Europe's largest construction project delivering the Elizabeth Line – a 100km-plus rail line will pass through 40 stations, from Heathrow and Reading in the west, to Abbey Wood and Shenfield in the east, via 42km of new tunnels under central London. Acting as a delivery partner within an integrated project team with Network Rail, Bechtel is responsible for managing the delivery for the 42km central tunnel section and eight new subsurface stations by providing design, procurement,construction, commercial, project controls, and commissioning management services.
1. Purpose of the Job
To assist the Senior Project Manager at Bond Street in supporting the Business in relation to the project through the design, procurement and construction. The Bond Street station is currently facing challenges as therefore will require a Senior PM as well as a Deputy PM with depth and breadth in experience.
Through the appropriate use of business monitoring and reporting processes, supports the management of the project in a safe, efficient and cost-effective manner. Supporting the Business in defining the strategy for the execution of works within the project and deputises for the Senior Project Manager in carrying out the duties of a Senior Project Manager under the NEC3 contract where agreed with the Business.
2. Principal Accountabilities
Assist the Senior Project Manager in supporting the Business, its management and the Project team and when required, deputise for the Senior Project Manager in relation to the following:-
* Controlling the scope of the contract and maintaining a change management control system; managing value engineering and optimal contractor involvement efforts to refine scope to incorporate best value.
* Managing compliance with the business’ technical requirements including responding to all requests for information, acceptance of submittals; disposition of NCRs; review of work in progress for acceptance at witness points; and acceptance of completed works.
* Managing work within established budget; implements the project cost trend programme and tracking cost performance of the works; managing a risk register to recognise cost exposures; estimates costs of added or changed work.
* Managing work within established schedule; establishing a baseline programme and measuring progress against it; reviews and accepts schedule updates; evaluates entitlement for extensions of time.
* Administering the project contract(s) in accordance with established policies and NEC guidelines, including proper use of EWN’s; set up and manage correspondence control; assess and recommend contractor invoices for payment; address all Compensation Events and assure that change orders and claims are processed in a timely manner.
* Reviewing and accepting construction methods statements; establishing quantity baseline and evaluating productivity of work execution; confirming appropriate site controls are in place.
* Witnessing final testing and commissioning of the works; accepting contractor assurance documentation; issuing completion certificate.
* Coordinating interfaces with adjacent or follow-on contracts; resolving problems and coordinating the final handover of the project to the Infrastructure Manager.
* Addressing interests of stakeholders or other interested third parties in their allocated area of responsibility; assuring compliance with consents; managing undertakings and assurances, and collecting evidence of compliance.
* Communicating quality requirements and checking that proper processes are identified and implemented by contractors and subcontractors to achieve contractual self-assurance; conducts surveillances to document compliance.
* Communicating Safety & Health requirements including identification of proper processes and implementation by contractors and subcontractors to achieve those requirements;
* Using the system to report all incidents, record inspections, file investigations, and collect labour hours.
* Communicating Environmental requirements and checking implementation of the EMR Compliance plan; collecting data and checking Smart Waste metrics are inputted and sustainability goals are monitored.
* Supporting provision of completion hand-over documents including Operations and Maintenance Manuals and Health and Safety Files.
* Promoting the management concept of Continuous Improvement (CI) among all members of the project team; using six sigma tools to champion the implementation of process improvement plans (PIPs).
* Conducting periodic project meetings consistent with the project communications plan to promote and facilitate communication, review progress/performance, discussing issues and facilitating problem resolution. Developing communication plan to check effective communications between Crossrail teams. Reporting all necessary dashboards, metrics, and updates for senior management information.
* Discharging its duties under the CDM Regulations 2007, complying with the CRL management arrangements for CDM, within their area of responsibility,
* Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to the Crossrail Target Zero principles.
* Co-operate with Crossrail in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
* Act as a role model for Crossrail’s vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Crossrail’s Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
* Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
* Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put Crossrail’s information or information systems at risk.
3. Main Challenges of the Job
* Supporting the Senior Project Manager in relation to managing the contractor to perform in accordance with the requirements of the contract, including schedule, cost, and self-assured quality.
* Supporting the Senior Project Manager in relation to its effective management of applicable interfaces with stakeholders and other contracts.
4. Dimensions & Interfaces (both internal and external)
* Reports to the Senior Project Manager
* Works closely with Project Business Manager, Project Construction Manager, Project Field Engineer, Engineering Manager; Coordinates with Area Construction Manager, Area Quality Manager and Area ES&H Manager
5. Person Specification
* Thorough knowledge of construction, engineering, procurement, and other project-related activities, including their interfaces and interdependencies. Sound knowledge of railway industry requirements and construction standards.
* Substantial construction industry experience, preferably in major rail projects
* Knowledge of industry, technology and EPC work processes. Knowledge and understanding of working arrangements with joint ventures, alliances and consortiums. Experience with lump sum and reimbursable projects.
* Knowledge of front-end activities including: Best Practices/Lessons Learned, Constructability, Risk Analysis/Contingency Evaluation, Estimate/Proposal Review Process. Knowledge of continuous improvement methodologies.
* Experience of effectively organising and staffing a project team in a matrix organisation.
* Knowledge and understanding of standard infrastructure project management tools, techniques and procedures including: Project Controls, Financial management, Automation, including standard office tools, Records management.
* Knowledge and understanding of baseline development and implementation including: Scope definition, Roles and Responsibilities, Estimates and resource loaded schedules, Progress and performance curves and metrics, Reports and action items tracking.
* Knowledge and understanding of Project Execution Plan development and implementation.
* Knowledge and experience in contracts/subcontracts formulation, risk analysis, negotiations, and implementation including: Change control and documentation management, Cost trend program and its linkage to change control.
* Knowledge of NEC form contracts and the hierarchy of requirements documents in case of conflict (RFP, Proposal, Contract, etc.)
* Knowledge of project insurance issues/options.
* Knowledge of cross functional work processes and interface knowledge, especially Project Controls, Supply Chain management, Quality management and the ability to manage the relationships/interfaces with management and functional groups.
* Understanding of Health & Safety requirements for Civil Engineers and Railway construction projects including CDM regulations.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.