about 1 month ago
About the Role:
At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisation and society in general.
We are looking for an Assistant Engineer to join our Local Government Highways team in Taunton.
At WSP in Taunton our primary function is to support our long-term partnership with Somerset County Council providing highway and transportation professional services across a wide range of portfolios.
Our team is integrated with the Client through a longstanding relationship and collaborative working practices.
A typical week would include:
* Ensuring that projects/programmes of varying complexity are delivered successfully to time, quality and budget
* Ensuring designs, drawings, reports, correspondence, certificates and other outputs are prepared, self-reviewed for quality, and submitted for review and authorisation in a timely manner and in line with the delivery programme
* Ensuring that business/project risks and issues are foreseen, escalated, recorded and managed effectively
* Ensuring that legislation, regulations, policies, strategies and technical guidance relevant to the Somerset County Council delivery are interpreted, followed and communicated across the team with guidance from seniors. Ensure that all cases for departures are authorised and presented for approval to the relevant authorising person or authority
* Assisting in supporting and developing others within the team
* Ability to prepare technical highway designs in accordance with approved design standards and procedures
* Ability to exercise independent engineering judgement; able to resolve technical issues without unnecessary escalation, able to provide innovative solutions to engineering problems
* Preparing technical highway designs in accordance with approved design standards and procedures
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* GCSE Maths and English grades A-C
* Degree qualified in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience
* Knowledge of transport planning, general traffic engineering, pedestrian crossings, shared use routes, and urban realm designs
• Computer literate; proficient in AutoCAD, KeySign, Autotrack and Microsoft Office Suite
• Ability to work autonomously; sound self-verification resulting in minimal correction at formal sign-off
• Demonstrable understanding and experience of project and contract and risk management
• Ability to undertake and analyse traffic data and write feasibility reports based on relevant design standards and guidance
• Experience in design of Highway Schemes
. Knowledge and experience of CDM Regulations and risk management
* Experience of collision investigation and Road Safety Engineering experience
• Knowledge and experience of helping to draft Traffic Regulation Orders
• Good analytical skills and attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skill
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognises that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition, we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.
Please note that WSP reserve the right to close this vacancy prior to the advertised closing date