7 months ago
About the Role
Assistant Engineer (Highways) Guildford Office
We require an Assistant Engineer to join the Highways teams in Guildford with the objective of successfully delivering a range of highways projects and services for a range of clients, including Highways England, Local Authorities and Private Clients.
Working as part of a highway design team, reporting directly to the Team Leader, the role will involve:
* The delivery of highway projects and services for Central Government, local authorities and other public/private sector clients.
* Liaising at an appropriate level with clients, stakeholders and other technical disciplines (Transportation Planning, Environment, Structures and Geotechnical) to deliver innovative, value-for-money designs and solutions within time and cost constraints.
* Supporting Senior Engineer/Team Leader with the delivery of a programme of highway schemes and asset management services.
* Working with Contractors to develop detailed designs and construction support services for major highways projects and services.
* Assisting the Team Leader guiding, supervising and directing junior team members in technical and project management matters to ensure the effective delivery of projects whilst aiding the technical/professional development of the team.
* Assisting in the programming of resources and projects to ensure timely delivery.
* Working closely with the other Highways teams; engineers from other disciplines; and, other construction professionals to optimise and develop fully integrated solutions.
* Contributing to any stakeholder engagement and consultation processes, including liaising with key stakeholders and negotiating with external parties including the public.
Key Skills / Experience:
* Relevant Engineering degree and relevant post qualification experience (minimum 5 years).
* Working towards Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status. Member of an appropriate Institution.
* Ability to work under minimum supervision, or as part of a larger delivery team, on complex projects in a CAD/BIM environment.
* Experience of working with Contractors on Design & Build highway contracts is desirable.
* Understanding of asset management planning and network operations including the use of BIM.
* Assist in the preparation of briefs and with managing project costs and budgets.
* Working knowledge of design standards – DMRB, MfS. Understanding of highway design software, such as MX, WINDES, etc.
* Working knowledge of some highway design features, such as signs, road markings, lighting etc. and understanding of associated software packages.
* Understanding of design and assessment of road restraint systems (RRRAP).
* Understanding of contract procurement, specification, supervision and contract administration experience. (NEC Contract, MCHW).
* Understanding of utilities provision, diversions and construction practices.
* Assist with the preparation of BoQ’s and cost estimates.
* Good knowledge of the implications of works on the environment and good knowledge of sustainable construction practices.
* Good understanding of the health and safety legislation covering the construction industry.
* Strong numerical ability and capability in use of MS excel.
* Good communication skills, including ability to write technical reports.
* Good interpersonal skills, initiative to work independently, self motivation, and enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills.
* Ability to speak/write Welsh is desirable but not essential.
* Driving Licence.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.