9 months ago
We have an opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Assistant Geotechnical Engineer to assist our Ground Engineering team with the delivery of a range of projects.
As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With more than 300 professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally. We need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector (particularly rail, highways & water) and the energy sector, which includes carbon capture & storage, renewable energy (wind, current and hydro-power), low carbon engineering, offshore and onshore oil & gas and nuclear power.
As a result, we’re looking to grow our team and looking for people with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector. We have offices throughout the UK and we may consider locating the role in one of several of our UK hub offices (Epsom, London, Birmingham, Bristol, Warrington and Leeds ) although other locations may be considered.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
* Geotechnical engineering input into a range of infrastructure projects.
* Preparation of ground investigation documentation (Specifications, Bills of Quantity).
* Site walkovers, supervision of ground investigations and site based construction support.
* Geotechnical input into the production of geotechnical desk studies, interpretative and design reports.
* Undertake geotechnical design of foundations, retaining walls, earthworks, ground improvement and slopes.
* Project management of geotechnical input to infrastructure projects.
We are looking for an individual with good technical and communication skills who has the willingness and aptitude to work as part of a team of engineers. The successful candidate will need to have ambitions and aspirations that fit with those for the team, which is growing into a highly skilled, flexible and outward looking team that can tackle work across the broad spectrum of sectors.
The successful candidate will possess:
* A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent)
* Membership of an appropriate professional organisation and be working towards becoming chartered.
* Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with clients
* Excellent interpersonal and technical skills
* A high motivation to succeed, and to progress and develop their chosen careers
* A flair for innovation
* Good report writing skills and the ability to self-check and to produce high quality and accurate work.
* A clear willingness to travel on short assignments both in the UK and overseas.
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We have also increased our investment even further by launching our Ground Engineering Professionals Programme, facilitating strong professional development to match the passion and skills of our talented people post-chartership.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview