5 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations and society in general.
The Assistant Engineer, under the direction of a Senior Engineer/Engineer, will be expected to work independently and as part of a team, contributing to both the design and delivery of medium to large size Highway improvement projects, whilst having the ability to manage smaller schemes. The successful candidate will be able to adhere to APM project management principles, apply technical understanding and translate this into engineering solutions while demonstrating solid Highway design capability for your level of experience.
A typical week would include:
* Producing designs, AutoCAD drawings, reports, correspondence, certificates and other outputs effectively and efficiently. Civils 3D experience would be an advantage.
* Preparing technical designs in accordance with legislation, regulations, design standards and procedures.
* Ensuring project programmes are delivered successfully to time, quality and budget.
* Readily be able to diplomatically and knowledgeably communicate with a broad cross-section of stakeholders including, but not limited to, customers, road users, representative groups, and senior political representatives.
* Reading and adhering to all relevant policies and procedures for Health and Safety including the H&S Policy, H&S Manual, and Local Procedures Manual.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* Degree in Civil Engineering with experience in Highway engineering or
* HND/HNC with experience in Highway engineering
* Demonstrable experience in highways engineering and the design of highway schemes
* Ability to undertake and analyse traffic data, and write feasibility reports based on relevant design standards and guidance
* Computer literate; proficient in AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite; Civils 3D experience would be an advantage
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.