8 months ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
Join us as an Assistant Engineer and you’ll help us meet the needs of the Belfast office and our other clients. We have a range of interesting and challenging highways maintenance, design and improvement schemes, drawing on the skills of our local team and the wider WSP to deliver a high-quality, professional service.
As an Assistant Engineer you will use your knowledge and skills to deliver high quality, timely designs. We will provide you with the opportunity to broaden your experience and achieve your professional aspirations.
A typical week would include:
Working as part of a highway design team, reporting directly to the Team Leader, the role will involve:
* The delivery of highway projects and services for Central Government, local authorities and other public/private sector clients.
* Liaising at an appropriate level with clients, stakeholders and other technical disciplines (Transportation Planning, Environment, Structures and Geotechnical) to deliver innovative, value-for-money designs and solutions within time and cost constraints.
* Supporting Senior Engineer/Team Leader with the delivery of a programme of highway schemes and asset management services.
* Working with Contractors to develop detailed designs and construction support services for major highways projects and services.
* Assisting the Team Leader guiding, supervising and directing junior team members in technical and project management matters to ensure the effective delivery of projects whilst aiding the technical/professional development of the team.
* Assisting in the programming of resources and projects to ensure timely delivery.
* Working closely with the other Highways teams; engineers from other disciplines; and, other construction professionals to optimise and develop fully integrated solutions.
* Contributing to any stakeholder engagement and consultation processes, including liaising with key stakeholders and negotiating with external parties including the public.
We would love to hear from you if you have:
* A degree, HNC or HND in Civil Engineering
* ideally progress towards Incorporated or Chartered Engineer status
* Experience working in the highways sector, ideally in a design office, but also on site or working with a contractor
* An enthusiasm for highways and civil engineering combined with a desire to learn more and progress your career.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.