12 months ago
About the Role
The WSP Water team is experiencing significant growth and we are seeking an Assistant Engineer to join our flood risk and drainage team within our Uddingston office.
The Water Engineering team provides services across all aspects of the water environment, including flood risk assessment, flood alleviation, hydrology and hydraulic modelling, foul and surface water drainage design, environmental impact assessment and other civil engineering works.
You will work within a team to provide technical input on a variety of flooding and drainage projects. The role includes technical input on flood risk assessments, flood studies, surface water management strategies and flood alleviation scheme development. Key aspects of the role are:
• River and Drainage modelling (e.g. InfoWorks ICM, Flood Modeller, TUFLOW)
• Hydrological Assessments (e.g. FEH / WINFAP / ReFH2)
• Day to day use of GIS tools (e.g. Mapinfo, Arc, QGIS)
• Feasibility studies / options development. Report preparation / drawings.
• Attend and contribute to project meetings internally and with clients.
• Undertake own continuing professional development under guidance from Line Managers with a view to working toward professional membership.
• Operate in accordance with the corporate health and safety, environmental and quality standards.
• Work may require travel in the UK or work in client offices.
Experience of flood / drainage scheme design aspects would be an advantage.
Experience in wider flooding related technical areas such as Economic Appraisals, SuDS, Climate Change, Natural Flood Management, Fluvial Geo-morph, etc would be an advantage.
You will hold a degree in an Engineering, Environmental or Numerate Science related subject.
You will have a number of years’ experience undertaking river and / or drainage modelling and hydrological assessments, ideally gained within a consultancy environment.
You’ll be a capable problem solver with good time management skills and ability to work unsupervised at times.
You will be a self-starter used to working in a team.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, program and construction management professionals.
Our Guiding Principles
•We value our people and our reputation.
•We are locally dedicated with international scale.
•We are future-focused and challenge the status quo.
•We foster collaboration in everything we do.
•We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable.