9 months ago
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Assistant Engineers in our Leeds office, based at Thorpe Park, to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highway projects across the UK.
You will be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Local Authorities, design and build contractors and other niche clients. You will also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you’ll have a background in design and delivery of a range of highway schemes. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
We are looking for someone who enjoys an engineering challenge and finding the solution, and is prepared to roll up their sleeves, to ensure our teams always deliver great things. You will be supported to develop yourself and to carry out work on your own, and to ensure we go the extra mile, to exceed client needs. We expect you to: -
• Be an excellent communicator with confidence to work on your own initiative or as part of a team
• Use your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options
• Undertake designs and the production of and review design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications
• Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards
• Develop more junior staff, typically apprentices, and yourself to work hard toward professional qualification under formal training agreements
• Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home on occasions
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent
• Working towards Incorporated or Chartered status with the ICE, CIHT
• A good track record in civil engineering design
• A thorough understanding of relevant highway standards including: DMRB, British and European standards
• Good written standard of English
• Good oral communication abilities
• Strong interpersonal and team working skills
As an Assistant Engineer, you will be responsible for the delivery of design works, including but not limited to:
• Preparing scheme drawings, from feasibility design through to detailed design
• Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents
• Production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians
• Utilising 3-D design packages, ideally including MX, AutoDesk Civils 3D and Microdrainage (or similar)
• Preparing works packages - bill of quantities, specifications and construction drawings
• Assisting with the resolution of engineering problems
• Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets
• Site supervision of highway improvement schemes
• Mentoring and supporting the development of the team
• Keeping up-to-date with current methods and design guidelines
• Compliance with Quality, Safety, Environment and managerial procedures
• Supporting more experienced Engineers in designing highway schemes for both the public and private sectors
• Support to senior staff in co-ordination of tenders and projects for clients
Join us in this role and you can take your transportation career so much further. We offer the opportunity to work across different disciplines, in different UK offices and even to take up international or client-based secondments. So, you won’t just be helping to shape the world of tomorrow, you’ll be shaping your own future too. We’ve got a lively culture where people from a diverse range of backgrounds support and inspire each other to achieve great things. So alongside excellent rewards and benefits, you’ll enjoy being part of a team that builds strong bonds both in and out of work!
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
• Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
• Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.