5 months ago
Title : Assistant Consultant - Environmental Policy and Economics
Requisition ID :2019-41442
Work Location :GB-Various
Department / Discipline : Environmental
Additional Work Location : GB-London
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Professional & Technical
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood’s environmental policy and economics team is at the forefront of providing policy, technical and economic advice on the development and implementation of environmental policy and business response to policy. We work for customers such as the UK Government, European Commission, international organisations (e.g. the United Nations), industry associations and companies. Our reputation for robust and impartial analysis means our projects directly influence the development and improvement of environmental policies in the UK, EU and beyond, addressing some of the most challenging issues we face. Our team are based across the UK and in Brussels, we are seeking to fill this role in the UK, in our London, Reading or Bristol offices. Applications from those with a strong academic track record and a demonstrable interest in environmental policy will be given particular weight.
We are looking to recruit an Assistant Consultant to support the delivery of projects across some or all of our main policy areas, which include: chemicals, air quality, industrial emissions, climate change, water, waste and resources, amongst others. You will be joining the business at an exciting time and will play a key role in delivering our ambitious strategy for growth.
If you have a keen interest in public policy; are able to analyse and interrogate data; communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, then we want to hear from you. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate, with excellent opportunities for career development, exposure to diverse projects as well as international travel in a supportive team. Applications from those with European language skills are particularly welcome.
You will work in multi-disciplinary teams, contributing to policy development, implementation and evaluation; cost-benefit analysis; model development; information/ data collection and analysis; stakeholder consultation; report writing and verbal presentation.
Skills / Qualifications
* A demonstrable interest in developing a career in environmental policy.
* Postgraduate qualification in environmental science / technology, economics, engineering, law or policy (or strong undergraduate qualification plus directly relevant experience).
* Excellent communication skills and ability to write concise reports in English.
* Knowledge of at least one of following topics and the affected sectors: chemicals, air quality or industrial emissions.
* Demonstrable experience in some of the following: policy development and implementation; evaluation of technical / policy measures; cost-benefit analysis; data collection, validation and analysis; and stakeholder consultation.
* Organisation, initiative and the ability to plan your work and adhere to fixed deadlines
* Mathematical / quantitative analysis, data / statistical modelling skills.
* Analytical / economic techniques such as: survey design and execution; market analysis; socio-economic analysis; regulatory impact assessment.
* Understanding of the development of public policy and the methods for assessing the economic and environmental impacts of government action.
* Familiarity with national and international sources of government and business statistics.
* Experience of environmental or policy analysis within a consultancy, government, research agency/think tanks, NGO or private sector / industry organisation.
* EU language capabilities.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.